1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed with breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ptamil2007, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Vanathi, I wish my pedi had told me that, for some reason, pedis here suggest switching breasts after 10 minutes, and that's what I did with Riya which made matters worse when she had jaundice and wasn't gaining any weight. I was taking her off of my breast before the goody-fat hindmilk came. But now I know better.

I have a question, too, how long do you think Riya can go in between feedings? Right now I feed her every three hours but at times it seems like she's not hungry but I still force her to eat since I worry she may lose weight if I am don't stick to every three hours. Any advice on that? Will it hurt her if I do 3.5 hours and then gradually move to 4 hours?

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Riyamom

This happens with the first born since we as new mothers really don't know what to do.I was doing that with my eldest too-switching after 10 minutes and insisting on feeding every 2-3 hrs.Till today(at 5 1/2 yrs of age),he has been/is a 'slim' childBig Laugh.

Now with my second(6 weeks old),I BF on one side only during each feeding(whether it lasts for 10 minutes or 30 minutes).Also,I don't insist on every 3 hrs(but the little brat has his own biological clock which starts screaming exactly when it is 3 hrs!!!:hide:)But at nights,it is sometimes 4 hrs and sometimes 2 hrs(last night was the worst-5 hrs!!!..I was deep asleep and did not notice the time and he was asleep too for 5 hrs straight)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj...like Sunitha said "Dont watch the clock, watch the baby". If she seems hungry (fussing, not interested in playing, crying, sucking everything in sight) then feed her. If not, sure you can stretch out feeds as much as she will tolerate. By this age she will DEFINITELY let you know when she is hungry, so it will never get to the point of losing weight. Dont worry...

Vanathi.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

Its really putting me in worries while reading ur post, saying that u feed ur babies for every 3 hrs or so. My son is 3 mnths but he never shows his hunger even i fi didnt fed him for more than 5 hrs. In day time i used to feed him for every 4.5 to 5 hrs, bcos if i feed him bfr that time say like 3 hrs, he is not drinking even if i try to, he wil have for 3 mns or 2 mns then he turns his face to other side and even i try to turn his face, he refuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then we have decided to feed him after 4.5 hrs or 5 hrs at that time he will feed for at least to 8 mns to 10 mns. But now even by 5 hrs he s not feeding properly, playing and just ignoring... I am really worried but seems tht he is happy and never cried for hunger!!!!!!!!!!!
    In night, if u moms read this u will all shout at me!!! He will sleep without hunger even for more than 7 hrs!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why?
    If i ask doctor they say he is gaining weight and growing normal, so dont worry, but this i notice only this month frequently. This habit started 1 week bfr his previous appt.. I have his next appt after 2 weeks from now, if he still gains weight i think he is drinking enough.. Am i right???? Need ur suggestions....

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San...just go by the weight gain. Every baby is different and some may not need as much time/frequency as others. if he is active and gaining well then dont worry and thank your lucky stars you have such an easy baby!

Vanathi.

PS - How did the scopy go?

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

San, I agree with Vanathi, if he's gaining weight and he seems happy then you don't have to worry about anything. He must be one of those babies who really got it all figured out with breastfeeding. Enjoy!! Riya is a lazy eater, she would eat some, fall asleep, wiggle, yawn, do all kinds of things before she is done. So, I had a hard time figuring out if she's really done or not and she also had issues gaining weight. Now, I read her cues and keep encouraging her to finish eating.

It is normal for a 3 months old to sleep through the night for atleast 6-7 hours without a feed. He must be getting enough before bed to make him sleep through the night.

Also, what goes in must come out, so keep an eye on how many times he poops and pees. I wouldn't be worried about his eating habits, though, since he's gaining weight.

8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi and Raj.

Yes Vanathi, i was abt to post u abt the scopy. It went well eventhough i was nervous abt that... :) I was sedated and i dont know what happened. Doctor said she fined everything ok but only mild inflammation and some bacteria and she took biopsies to identify the bacteria.. Hmm lets see what that culprit is that creatd such an intense pain for me!!!!!!!!!
    But she said if its bact, she wud give me antibiotic that time i need to stop b.fg. So i am in a dilemma whether to take that treatment after few mnths so that i cud stop bfg Vinay by that time say when he s around 8 mnths... What do u say??

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San...lets wait and see what it is and which antibiotics are recomended. Then you can decide abt when to take it. Anyway great that it went well and its nothing serious.

V.

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

It has been some couple of days after which I get to have some time to sit at the comp.
    The information has been very wonderful, thanks a lot vanathi, its really great to have you here. I didnt know the last milk is fat-rich milk. Thanks a lot for sharing such valuable information.