1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed with breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ptamil2007, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pavi
    I too had the same problem, initial latching on problem, nipple sore etc

Since he didnt latch on properly, i used bottlle mipple, then nipple shield but everything hurts my nipple a lot.. I used to cry everytime i feed him.
    I used pump too and since the nipples are already sore, more pumping hurts nipples more. But all we need is patience.

U better avoid frequent feeding directly on breasts and do pump and give him the milk. I did that and that helps to reduce the pain, why i am saying is when the baby is hungry he pulls the nipple very hard and that makes the nipple more sore.. so if u pump and give him the milk and just to make him remember the direct feeding, do feed him directly once or twice a day.
    Also i applied coconut oil, turmeric and breast milk after every feeding over the nipple.

Dont lose hope

Take care

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Yes sanravi, I am going through all the things you mentioned. I have been applying breastmilk. Lets hope it gets better soon

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Still pains

Along with the sore nipples, I now also have severe pain which I feel inside the nerves and it does hurt all the time and sometimes a lot.
    I went to the nurse and asked her the reason for whcih she says since the baby holds it very tightly mostly the nerves get strained and hence the pain but she couldnt suggest any remedy for that.

I could not get a doctor appointment before the first of april.

Also most of the times, the lumps are formed due to the milk being held and hence that also hurts. So overall I am in some kind of pain throughtout.

Please suggest your opinions.

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I cud help u for the milk lumps being formed.. U can apply hot water massage on the breasts with towel and that helps the milk lumps to dissolve and the milk will flow out as drops.. That way u can relieve that pain..
    Also by feeding ur baby, u will feel the lightness in breasts even after having lumps..

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavi,
    First of all...its great that you are still sticking to breastfeeding despite all the pain you are going through. I would second Santhiya's suggestion. I never had so much trouble with blocked ducts but it helped me enormously to empty my breasts while in a hot shower - make sure you massage any lumps and empty the whole breast. Please make sure you are wearing a proper-fitting bra as sometimes a too-tight bra can cause blocked ducts. The COMPLETE emptying of both breasts frequently is essential as the milk lumps can get infected otherwise and you may end up with mastitis (infected ducts).
    As for the pain, the only other thing I can think of is to check whether your baby has a fungal infection called thrush inside his mouth. Look inside his mouth and tongue and see if here are any curd-like white patches. Sometime that can cause severe pain for the mother. (Dont worry even if he has it as it can be treated very easily). Hope you start feeling better soon....

Vanathi.

PS - See if this can help in any way - Breastfeeding Problem Solver - BabyCenter

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for that information.

Yes I did notice that white thing in his mouth, could you suggest how to treat him for that?

I have been putting hot water, it relieves the pain only for sometime.

I have a manual breastpump at home, but they say that too frequent pumping causes breasts to sag.
    So now its like whether to pump everyday or not is my dilemma.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Pavi,,,if it is thrush then you need to apply some medicine in his mouth. His ped should be able to confirm and prescribe the appropriate treatment. And pumping does not cause sagging - but I dont know how far a manual pump will help.

Vanathi.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks vanathi. I have his ped checkup on first of april, will ask her then.

9. reddy2207

reddy2207 New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,
    I have 2 week old baby girl and she latches on one breast for around 20 mins and falls asleep. I dont get chance to change breast. Is this fine?

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

No problem reddy2207. Many babies dont feed on both sides at the same sitting. My son is the same way even now at 8 mnths (stopped falling asleep though). Just keep alternating breasts at each feeding. In a way its good beacause the fat-rich milk is the last part of the milk to come out and babies who feed on one breast completely will be sure to get that.

Vanathi.