1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed reg the use of electric oven

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by lakshmi ganesh, Oct 6, 2014.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

If your vessel is round/rectangle with height and smaller diameter/diagonal - you can keep it on the wire rack

You can keep cutlets, reheat pizza, grill bigger veggies, bread toast directly on the wire rack (food shouldnt fall down through the rack lines)

For liquids or semisolid or smaller items (cut vegetables), breads, buns, cookies etc you can use the tray

I'm pure vegetarian - so my rotisseri is kept somewhere in the attic - but I use the oven for many things.

I usually use it to get crispy bhindi, potato or banana fry, arbi (chama/sepankazhangu), ivy gourd - make the sabji in kadai as usual - add all masala/salt/chilli etc and then transfer to the pan and spread it evenly on the tray and keep the oven at > 200 and let it get crisp for 10 minutes.

I make (from scratch - using yeast) breads, buns, pizza, calzone etc

I use Tarla Dalal's recipe for eggless chocolate sponge cake using condensed milk
    Cookies - my cashew cookies are very popular among my friends kids

Cutlets - using mix vegetables or with bottle gourd etc, you can also use it to make koftas and mirchi bajjis too

Paneer tikka

1 person likes this.
  2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

View attachment 213370
    For baking cookies I usually put a piece of alum. foil on the tray and put cookies on it. No oil or butter is required on foil. I usually bake at 150 degree. Only do not use wax paper for baking in the elec. oven, it starts going black on the edges and its burning smell seeps in food being baked.
    feel free to ask because basics are important.

1 person likes this.
  3. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

thx hrastro,fro ur reply i understood lot of dishes can be done with oven.will try one by one

4. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

Thx radv,i am going to first try cookies with ur guidance,can u send me a recipe for the cookies,also pls mention the time i have to set for it.

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

6. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

I think You can place the utensils on wire rack. About the temperature, I have no experience cooking with the microwave. Sorry..
    Actually you can use recipes that are specifically made for electric oven.

7. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

Can you please share your recipes for breads and buns? I have tried many times to make breads and buns, they become too hard and crumby after they cool.:-(

8. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

I do not have recipe with proper measurements. take 3-4 tbspns flour, add butter and sugar. So may be the ratio is 4:2:1.5. I have given rough measures. To this u may add chocolate-chips and make a dough. Roll and cut in desired shapes and bake for 8-10 minutes. Keep the tray in the middle slot.

9. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Butter should be unsalted and soft, not melted. Sugar is powdered. Forgot to mention before. No baking powder is required. Happy baking.

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Buy a good quality yeast - according to fresh and active dry yeast, the methods are different - always proof the yeast before starting the recipe - if it doesnt prove - you have to buy a new packet - preferably from a different vendor :-(

For the first time, dont try with whole wheat flour etc - try with simple maida first, once you get experienced, you can make healthier versions of the recipes by adding multi grains or adding flavors or adding fruits and vegetables or tuttifrutti or chocochips etc.

Brush warm milk (or egg if you eat egg) on top of the loaf or buns as soon as you switch off the oven - and keep back in the heat for just 5 minutes and then take it out and let cool - the milk will steam up and make the bread soft.

Dont reheat bread/buns in microwave - it will dry it - use the grill in otg or a tawa with butter.

For recipes, I read so many and have tried mostly multigrain and have even ground some whole wheat and bajra for breads - but you can NEVER go wrong with basic breads from Step by Step of Chitvish recipes on indusladies sub-forum - thats what I started with !!! She gives wonderful photo tutorials and can be followed easily and always turns out tasty !

For OP too, do check out some of step by step recipes of Chitvish and her electric gadgets sections for more info for your original query