Help needed on Quick and healthy packed breakfast ideas for DH..

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by spuppala, Nov 8, 2011.

1. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi there,

I am really fed up with my DH as he always find no time to have his breakfast and i really cannot pack the dosas,upma which he can eat it on the way or at office desk..Of late i have been giving him stuffed rotis packed in foil which is easy to eat but he often gets bored of it..and i really don't want to give him bread so frequently as i find it very unhealthy(in greater amounts)..Please suggest me some good quick and easily carried breakfast items..

All i need is your help :)

2. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Spuppala,

Im in the same boat, as in no time to eat breakfast.
    Add a fruit which he could easily eat, or a cereal bar with low cal and high protein, if he has time for a couple of spoons of oat stuff it into his mouth before he says bye. :)

3. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi dear..happy to see your reply and thanks a lot..
    To my worry..he doesnt like cereal-oat stuff.. :( i would be very happy if he have oats or corn-flaes for his BF..but he just hates it..

4. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Hey Spuppala,

What I do is pack an apple/or a granola bar along with lunch box... if he feels hungry he will eat that as BF... Otherwise usually he eats at home whatever is there...
    also I make idli/dosa batter and make it hot for him, he will have it at home and take lunch for office..

I also prepare steamed vadas (made from lentils) which are very healthy and filling also) I will give u recipe if u want.. for this we need to do preparations from the night before...

Me too i the same boat.. Hubby leaves early morning to office and by the time i pack lunch for him he wont have time to have BF... Sometimes he eats what i have packed (remaining after packing) as BF at home...

If you have some quick ideas for packing lunch also please suggest me... as he likes only rice items in his lunch box (chapati wont be comfortable to eat with US colleagues) so plz give me some quick rice recipes or anything like nutritious ....

5. smilinglily

smilinglily New IL'ite

Same exact thing with my DH. I am insisting him to have a glass of milk and since you live in UK you can try giving him some yogurt cups / cereal or how about Poha Vupma with lots of veggies? It doesn't smell and you can stuff in in a roti if you want. Just a thought :)

6. tweetymee

tweetymee Junior IL'ite

Hi Spuppala,
    As everhappy suggested, cereal bar and fruit is good option. My DH also does not eat oats/cereals. I make granola bar at home, which he seems to like.
    You can also try baking some healthy low fat muffin.

7. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Yeah poha upma rolling in a roti is good idea :) thanks ma..
    Btw what are yoghurt cups?

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi Tweety,

thanks for your ideas and help ma...I shall try granola..though he doesnt like Oats..i guess can try this different version :) daily am dying to make him eat fruits :)

9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hey Ananya...

Thanks for pitching in and giving me suggestions..

Steamed vada sounds interesting to me,,Could you please post the recipe here...

Yeah sometimes my DH also do the same eating the left overs after packing..

Yes i have some quick recipes for lunch..shall post them soon :)

10. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Spuppala,

I and my Dh are working.. So the same happens with me sometimes..
    As I'm in weight loss mission, I started doing some tips which suits me. Try if you can.

For rice varieties, other than the regular sambar/rasam, you can prepare these powders and keep it at home. You just have to prepare rice, add a little ghee/oil + a little salt and mix with this powder. Lunch ready..

poondu podi (garlic powder),
    paruppu podi (dhal powder),
    karuveppilai podi (curry leaves powder)
    ellu podi (thil powder)
    pudina podi (Mint powder)
    kothamalli podi (coriander powder)
    vendhaya podi (fenugreek powder)
    kollu podi (horsegram powder)
    sukku podi (dry ginger powder)

Or prepare some variety rice..

lemon rice
    carrot/beetroot/beans/corn/peas rice or mix veg rice
    tamarind rice
    curd rice
    veppembu rice

For roti/paratha varieties, you can prepare the dhal/subji at night and keep it in fridge.. Also we can make the batter in large quantities and keep it in a plastic cover in fridge. the advantage here is it wont discolour. Add a little curd when you prepare the dough so that it will be soft and wont turn hard.

mix veg paratha
    dhal paratha
    gobi paratha
    mooli (radish) paratha
    aloo paratha
    pudina paratha
    aloo methi paratha
    peas paratha
    corn paratha

you can try all these.. if you don't have time to prepare subji, just prepare raita. even if you are not able to prepare raita, have it with a pickle. It will be tooooooooo good..

Normally, I used to avoid preparing sambar for lunch, as it takes a lot of time to prepare.. Suddenly one idea came.. Yesterday I prepared dhal for chapathi.. A good quantity of dhal was remaining.. Today I just added tamarind juice, a tomato, sambar powder, turmeric powder, half fried radish pieces and a little salt.. Then just made it to boil for 5-10 mins. Separately prepare tadka and added it.. It was so yummy.. :) By using these simple ways, you can have proper food..

One more idea is get ragi seva, chola seva, kambu seva from shops.. You just have to steam it after rinsing in water. In a pan, add oil, mustard, jeera, hing, curry leaves, onion, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and the seva.. Your breakfast is ready.. If possible prepare chutney or have it with sugar.. :)

Hope these ideas are a little useful..