1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help ! My Toddler Doesnt Chew !

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by MaliniRaghu, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MaliniRaghu

MaliniRaghu New IL'ite

hey ladies,
    my 2.6 old son still doesnt seem to know how to chew...i have to mash everything and give him only then he eats..he is also not interested in any kind of food..including choclates..chip..etc etc... i am so tired of making him understand how to chew...i checked with my doc and she says he is completely normal...

i am totally frustrated with this issue...

have any of you ever faced such problem..anybody has any solution..pls suggest :)

your ideas are a BIG welcome :)

cheers
    Malini
    P.S my son talks well and he seems to be doing fine in all other activities...

2. lakshmi72

lakshmi72 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malimi,

Don't panic. My daughter was also brought up in Dubai and had the same problem. He will become alright but make a constant effort from ur side to make him chew. But donot shout or press. Slowly when u mash donot mash well . They will hurdle , spit but will be alright. Don't bother he is not eating cholates and chips. Once they start going to school - all these habits start. Now better he does not eat as his teeth would be saved.

Give snacks where u cannot mash- idiyappam, dosa, chappati , kaboos , bread so that he has a habit to chew. I will also tell u even if they start eating w/o mashing - u will notice they will just swallow the rice and not bother to chew. Even now my daughter does that she is in 4th std. Slowly they will change . I know here atleast it is ok we manage- we have a tough time when we go to india as all look at us as if we have not trained our child at all. Gone through all- chalega don't bother he will be alright.

Lakshmi

3. MaliniRaghu

MaliniRaghu New IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi..thanks a lot for your response...it means a lot to me to know that i am not alone in this battle :)
    point is like he doesnt seem to know how to chew and i donno how to teach him...when i try to give him solids he pukes....and now i am planning to put him into school ...donno how itz gonna work....hmm...just praying GOD for miracles...

thanks again...
    cheers
    Malini

4. raghavsmom

raghavsmom New IL'ite

I am in same boat. He is 2.6 months old. He licks everything and take everything without chewing. Eat only mashed food. Takes an hour to eat chocolate by licking.

Just praying to god...

Thanks
    Rekha

5. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry kids eventually learn to chew. start giving crunchy waffle sticks or boiled carrot sticks for eg....like variety of colors & taste. Also name them differently like something fancy & kids will tend to give it a try...

When my son refuses to drink milk, I call it strawberry smoothieeee & he seems to relish it.:thumbsup

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame