Help Me with Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by MD013, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Hello everybody,

Iam 29years female recently when i went for preconception check up iwas detected with hypothyroidism my TSH value was 7. I went to an endocrinologist he gave me thyrox 50 & told me i need to take this lifelong.
    Iam bit worried & has not started with those medications. I want to know can i rectify it & if in case i get pregnant & then start medictaion with doctor's consultation will it be OK. also, which test are to be done to confirm that i have this disease seriously. I am having cough often on, even during summers iam suffering from cough can it be reason for low thyroid.

Kindly just reply.

Thanks,
    MD

2. jogu07

jogu07 Gold IL'ite

Dear MD...Hypothroidism is common these days...!!! Even I suffer from the same...!!! It is nothing to worry about however make sure that you take your medicine regularly, do not miss it...!!! You should take it empty stomach in the mornings and do not drink or eat anything for an hour after you have taken the medicine...!!!

Yes, the fact is that we have to take this tablet lifelong cause if you stop them, the TSH level would elevate...!!! Also, I am sure your doc must have adviced you not to TTC untill the level drops down to 2.5 something(atleast my doc has)....you need to keep monitoring the levels every 2 months...!!! And once you conceive the doc will monitor your levels more frequently in order to adjust your dosage so that it does not affect the baby...!!!

As you have been diagnosed recently, can understand your anxiety however keep yourself as calm as you can, do not stress as it is very important...!!! I am taking medications since 8 years and have no other complication, it is not a disease, it is just a disorder which can be rectified with proper medication and exercise...!!!

Hope this helps...If there is anything you want to know regarding thyroid please feel free to ask...!!! We all are here in this together so do not worry and have faith in the Almighty...!!!

Good Luck and God bless...!!!

3. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Thanks Jogu07. No mydoc has not advised me to bring down the tsh to 2.5 but, ihave started doing yoga thinking it might help to drop down. have you tried doing yoga, does it help to rectify this disorder.

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

HI MD,

Sorry you have been diagnosed with Hypothyroid, but as Jogu said its not a disease to be worried or difficult to fight against. Yes if you are trying to conceive you have to reduce the TSH level around 2. Its not that you can't conceive if its more than 2, you still can. But as Thyroid is very crucial for your baby throughout your pregnancy, RE will advice you to bring TSH level down during the TTC period itself.

I have been living with HypoThyroid since 2007. Common symptoms are gaining weight, delay in periods, feeling cold, etc. Avoid foods like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brocoli, Pears & Soy products. I did those, took medication advised by the doctors, and my periods are regular (28 days) and can control my weight. So don't worry. I can understand your apprehension during the initial stage of diagnosis, but really its not to be worried about much.

As far as I know doing blood test to check TSH and T4 level confirms Thyroid. If you want second opinion meet an Endocrinologist, who can give you more information on this.

Good Luck and Cheer up.

ILT

Added Later:

Yes I too have heard that Yoga helps in stimulating the thyroid gland and helps it to function properly. But have never tried it. If you have started doing it, continue for 1 month and do a blood test again; see if that have improved the result. If so, kindly update here. It would be of great help to us too... :)

5. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Thanks tulips, sure i will update the results. you are saying not to have goitrogen products like soy, cabbage & cauliflower. Does pear also, comes in it, coz i am following alkaline diet because of my acidity & also, to lose some weight. Iam having one pear almost every other day...

6. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    As the above poster said its just a disorder not a disease . It's a disorder in your pituitary gland and hence the hormones. Unfortunately it cannot be totally done away with one can only control the levels through any form of excercise.yoga is good .also since hypothyroidism leads to weight gain it is necessary to indulge in any form of excercise.weight loss is relatively difficult for a person having thyroid . Also discuss the foods to be avoided .. Generally cabbage, soya are forbidden for a thyroid patient. But I take it in limited quantities rather than avoiding it totally.
    this disorder will exist lifelong and you need to take medications according to your levels.the dosage will vary acc to your levels.
    It will no way harm your ttc. Just that once you concieve you need to make the doctor aware of your condition since thyroid is known to harm the feotus too.
    Well I too am a thyroid patient since the last 10 yrs and I am now a mother to 2 kids.
    All the best
    Ramya

7. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Thanks Ramya, good to hear that you are proud mom of two babies. ya i know weight is an issue iam 5 ft & had a weight of 55kgs. trust me this hypothyroidism has broken my dreams into pcs. i was keen to become a mom & thought everything will be fine as this problem doesn't run in my family. but now i ahve decided to fight back this disease. but one thing as for human nature want fast results. hope i too can fulfill my dream soon.

Happy motherhood to you...

8. jogu07

jogu07 Gold IL'ite

Well...it is advisable that you conceive or TTC once your levels are around 2 to 2.5 just because it may affect the baby...!!! Also, do not stress as it would elevate your levels so be calm and composed...!!!

Yoga, yes it is good and it does help in controlling the levels to a certain limit, in the sense that for thyroid patients, burning the fat cells is difficult however yoga helps you do that...!!! I tried yoga and it did help so go ahead start doing it...!!!

Good luck and take care...!!!