1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help me to grow a tulsi plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Viny, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Dear all,

I have been trying to grow a Tulsi plant at my place but every time I plant, it survives for a couple of days or maximum a month and suddenly dies.This happens every time when I pulled out a small plant from my apartment's garden and replaced it in a pot at my place.

After facing this problem I assumed that the plant being small might be the reason and I decided a buy a relatively big and healthy plant from market. It went well for a couple of months and suddenly the leaves appeared pale and yellow and ultimately the plant died .:bang

I watered it once in winters and twice in summers along with a handful of natural mixed fertilizer (Jaivic Khad) in every 10 days.

Kindly advice what to do to save my tulsi plants:bonk also let me know the right amount of water and sunlight required for a Tulsi plant to grow well.

Another hurdles to maintain plants in my balcony are I can't keep any small plant outside in my balcony as many squirrels keep on visiting and destroy them as soon as they get a chance to do so. surprisingly they don't do this to full size plants. their target is only small plants and they never let them grow. I have no clue over it and I can't even fix a chick as its a rented accommodation.

Thirdly black aunts...... They go inside the pot through the hole for draining of excess water and start staying inside.:hide: Gradually they go deeper upwards and reach to the roots of the plant. From here itself the plant starts dying.(I discovered this after a constant observation of their activities in my balcony)

I feel like as if everyone is after my plants:hide:. please help and suggest how to solve these problems....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009

2. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

24 views and not even a single suggestion. Disappointing ya.....:-(

3. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

No one there to come up with some solution??? its 36 views now.......shakehead

4. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

Hi Viny , please have a look at the similar threads listed at the bottom of this page ...

5. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

:hiyaViny
    i really understand your pain. it is really very sad to see our plants dying inspite of our care. the same happened to my Tulsi plants.
    i too saw ants (lots of them:rant)in the pot and so discarded the old pot and put a new pot . ants love shade and there is not much sunlight in balconies. there are two big trees right in front of our balcony and there is filtered sunlight for us. there are squirrels here too but the branches are not near enough for them to jump into our balcony. but sometimes i do wish i could touch those cute creatures. squirrels are very timid and scamper away seeing humans. so keep your visits to the balcony frequent.
    now i don't see any ants in my pots. i used neem oil spray . and also sprinkled turmeric powder. fill water in plates and place your pots in them . hope this helps.
    And regarding replies,i too feel sad when i do not get the number of replies i expect. but never lose hope. replies will pour in . keep posting and waiting:)

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Raji, that is great idea to put the pot in a plate with water. That should deter the ants. Watering with turmeric is also great idea.

Viny, I really have no clue as a solution for you. I would just buy very good potting soil, repot and leave it at that. My mom never used a fertiliser and I don't either. I know that the plant needs good sun, but not scorching sun and try and water usually early in the morning. Also why don't you buy/borrow some seeds and sprinkle in the same pot, newer spalings start coming and that way you will always have a plant or two growing and eventually one or a few might stay good.

7. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Dear Viny tulasi is very easy to grow, first you need a good potting soil, I will explain the procedure. take a pot block the holes with broken pot pieces then fill 1/4 with sand then some red mud mixed with sand and manure-put in the plant fix it then keep it 2 days in shade then keep it in balcony in sunlight with a plastic plate with some ant powder [gemexine powder] and let it flourish pour little water per day, just to keep the mud wet and watch it grow if you had already followed these instructions. keep neem cakes for the roots, add fertilizers after 6 months hope you find this simple process helpful:idea

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi viny:

Tulsi plant as I know needs direct sunlight for 2-3 hours atleast. So check if your plant is getting direct sunlight. But I don't think it can stand in water all the time.

If you read Deepa's first post in her thread heaven in my balcony, you will see that the plant needs company as well:)

Sindhu

9. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hey Viny
    see ,i told you, replies are pouring in. happy?:)

10. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Thank you all. I am happy:rotfl :rotflto see that you all replied and gave best of your suggestions.

As Raji said very correctly that squirrels are cute creatures and they visit my balcony frequently because I feed them. I have been doing it past 3 years and now they trust me to an extent that they come closure to me and some of them are courageous enough to take my offerings as biscuits or fruits directly from my hand. This is the reason I don't feel like scaring them off as I love them and enjoy their activities. At the same time I love plants too and cant see squirrels destroying every tiny bud as soon as they identify one.

Coming back to the point, once again thanks you all for your suggestions & tips. I have again planted two new Tulsi plants:yes:. This time I have decided to keep them near a window glass inside the room next to my balcony where they can get sufficient sunlight and would be safe from squirrels. To keeps the aunts away I marked lines of chalk ( Laxman rekha) on the outer walls of the pot and around the hole and this trick seems working.

To compensate for this act of keeping the aunts away from the pots (their dream home) I keep a bowlful of wheat flour for them in the corner of my balcony. This help them to have a treat everyday and also distract their mind from house construction to food storage:crazy.

Lets hope all these tricks would work and my plants survive.I will keep you updated over the same.:2thumbsup:

Love...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009