1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me out...

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

1. You can try BF'ing directly. There is nothing wrong in just pumping (I did that for my older one) BUT it is a lot of work since you need to pump and feed baby, plus all the bottle sterilizing and washing business. If you are sure you will have help at home and need not worry about other chores etc then you can keep pumping. Also remember that you have a short window of opportunity to teach baby to nurse. The longer you just pump, the more difficult it will be to teach him plus it will also become a habit for you.

2. If you can slowly have baby do both BF and bottle that would be great.

3. I personally don't buy this argument. In my opinion a well-nursing baby may be superior to a pump however a pump is definitely superior to a poorly nursing baby. Since it is demands and supply as long as you are producing enough milk through pumping your supply will maintain.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Thnx Leee & Pavarun :)
    Yeah, if rithik does good job on both - then its a plus for me otherwise its a problem for me to teach him again.. :iagree

Pavarun - Yeah, my mom & dad are there for me to help.. Great to have them with me here !!!
    Mom - helps me a lot.. she washes bottles round the clock for me though I tell her not to worry washing.. also, washes the wash clothes.. dad feeds rithik and burps him.. last week 2-3 days I was out and dad was feeding him all day :bonk. Yeah, pumping & then feeding is a tough job !!!
    Sometimes, I feel real guilty by not bf ing him directly and just pumping then feeding him by myself sometimes and dad n mom n dh sometimes... Dh told me - unless and until he takes your milk and gaining good amount of wt thats more than enough for you.. Very true na

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Just do what you are comfortable with and what your mind tells you. There is no point in doing something under pressure.

I think giving birth is a big thing, BF another bigger thing and putting a smile on your baby face the biggest thing on earth :)

4. AnithaPartha

Lee - I totally agree with you :):):)
    I was thinking only DELIVERY is a big thing but just coming to know that pumping & feeding is also a real big challenge for ladies..

Adding, when I see my Rithik's wt gain in hosp I feel soooo happy for him :cheers. Ped really appreciated me that am giving him enough and making him grow more w/o her advices.. I was thankful to GOD !!!
    Each time I go to ped she will appreciate my milk supply and I wish I will get this wishes for more months :thumbsup

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

Just a warning, in case Rithik prefers bottle more; then 5-6 years is what you can take the bottle to stay. As it may just turn out to be his first love.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha, dont feel guilty about anything.... you are pumping enough for him, that itself is a job well done.
    the only thing is, i totally agree with pavarun and tikka here, u have a small window of opportunity to teach him how to latch, that is if u wish to.
    exclusively pumping is not something i wld want to go for, but then if u feel u can manage since u have ample help around... i guess it works for u! one lucky girl u are, all family members there and pitching in to take care of ur DS

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hye Anitha

I agree with Pooh's last post. You have a small opportunity to put him to BF, but that is up to you.
    My suggestion is - Try BFg at nights and see if he does equally well on bottles.

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Lee, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you here. There may be a minority of babies who refuse to give up the bottle but most babies can be weaned from the bottle by 2 years. Of all the babies who use a bottle, how many will still be on the bottle even at 5 or 6 years. Should be a very very very small percentage I would think. I don't think you should scare Anitha.

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

PV - Agree with you too. I am not scaring Anitha just telling the reality. I was instead waiting for Anitha to answer, so that I would tell her about weaning to bowl and spoon/ sippy cup @ 3 months. May be Anitha is busy today. Any four options are always good, it can be any two @ a given time.

a) Bottle and bowl & spoon
    b) BF and bowl & spoon/sippy cup
    c) Only BF
    d) Only Sippy cup/ bottle

Unfortunately atleast from what I know BF and bottle feeding don't go well in combi. Also given to know that Anitha is game for bottle and doesn't plan to give into BF, as I have also already mentioned earlier that BF can be started atleast @nights.

I somehow faced tremendous challenges with my daughter with the hard and soft siffy cups. Sooner or later just stopped the soft siffy cup. Sometimes I wonder how much options can the little one handle :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. AnithaPartha

Lee,

Am here only.. I will sleep daily around 4.30am only.. Till then will be with Rithik or online in IL only:)

*Adding - Lee, am so sorry I couldnt understand all above options which you have mentioned for me.. Since am a new mommy I dont understand why bottle then cups/bowls.. Or do you mean that Rithik will be on bottles for a year then slowly I should change him to bowl for solid foods?

Can you please help me to understand this concepts?

Thnx in advance !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010