1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me for breakfast

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by vidyaraj, Jan 18, 2008.

1. vidyaraj

vidyaraj New IL'ite

My kid is in her 10th month and she weighs around 8kg. Is this weight ok for her age?
    I am bit confused with her diet..
    For breakfast... she normally won't take the menu that we prepare for the family like dosa, idly, appam etc.. so i've been giving her plain oats with ghee or sometimes for a taste difference will add some pureed fruits along with that..
    is it normal if she refuses all other breakfast items.. ? and pls suggest me some more..

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya,
    Welcome to IL!!! It is normal for kids of that age to refuse, my lil one does that too. Try Ragi Kanji and then continue with oats, As you puree fruits do it with veggies, carrot, potato and add a bit of salt so that she will get used to it. Check with your padreatician for the weight of the kid. You can try to give her mini idlis and dosas. Give her time to get used to other foods, let her learn to eat at her own pace. DON'T WORRY!!!:idea

3. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Hi vidya,

Personally, I feel 8kg for 10 months is Ok. See to it by first B’day the baby should be around 9-10kg. And the best way to increase one's weight (including us) is MILK.
    If you are breast-feeding the baby... do feed her more often & contd till her first birthday.Later on, you start giving pediasure in the morning it really works !
    And for Breakfast, do as janani suggested...

4. Chinju

Chinju Senior IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    Sorry to Interrupt inbetween ...
    My daughter is 13 months old and she also doesnot take her breakfast.Can we give pediasure for 1 yr kids? I find it is written in pediasure container that it is from 2 - 5 yr. Currently i give her lactogen and packet milk. Also she is very fussy in taking vegetables. Afternoon we give her rice + dhal alone. If we add vegetables she spits off.
    Any suggestions how can i make her take vegetables?

Thanks in advance.

5. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

The period between 1yr -2yrs. is a terrible period for the children & for the mom too. They are neither a small baby nor a grown up kid. Believe me; I just came out from that stage. My daughter (younger one) is 3yrs.old. I tried different methods & ways to make my two children eat & drink. And Yes, Pediasure made a difference in our life. Over here, we get & give pediasure right from 1yr -10yrs. I am giving for my two children.& I can see the differnce in their hieght & weight.So, pls.check with your doctor /pharmasist about it.Other option is to give full cream milk ( see to it your pkt milk is 'full cream' one)
    For vegetables, each day try one veggie, steam them in the cooker, if necessary sprinkle some salt & give them with rice, and otherwise mix it with curd like raita.
    Make sure, your child is exposed to all the vegetables & Fruits!

Happy Parenting & all the best

6. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

HI Vidya and chinju
    My daughter is 13 month now .She doesn't like to take any vegetable or dal alone. I make poha with all grated vegaetables .Try pasta or noodles with vegetable puree .Sometime I boil channa dal or moong dal and kneed it with flour and make very soft paranth .If she likes sweet roasted sevian(Vermicelli ) kheer is good and nutritive too.

7. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi vidya and chinju..

you may try various types of food as suggested by everyone...also there is something we need to realise about the psychology of babies around one yr of age...they constantly try to read our reactions to what they do..if they feel we are forcing food upon them they only resist to eat anything...instead try a casual approach...around one year, babies feel proud to be allowed to do things independently..whenever my 13 months old baby becomes uninterested in breakfast, i spread some peanut butter on a slice of bread, cut it into pieces and put the bowl in front of her...if i pretend that i m not too particular about ther eating it and stay next to her ... she eats it out of curiosity..try this for a few days and then slowly the appetite comes back...pieces of boiled vegetables can also be given the same way...but be prepared to do a lot of cleaning after that...:lol: