HELP !!! - How long does it take to conceive??

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Explore, May 8, 2015.

1. Explore

Explore New IL'ite

I have been trying to conceive for the past two months. We have been having sex frequently (atleast twice in a week) but I havent got pregnant yet and my periods is also on time. I'm 24 and my husband is 29 years. How long does it normally take to conceive ?

2. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

Hi @Explore

Conception only happens if you have intercourse during the ovulation period. You can use OPKs or temping to find out when you are about to ovulate.

Please go to a gynac who will be able to better guide you through this. Basically each month the female cycle is divided into three phases i.e.

The follicular phase :- Here the follicles grow :- This is typically from CD1 to CD12-CD14 where CD1 is the day 1 of your last menstrual cycle.

The ovulation phase :- Here one dominant follicle reaches optimum size and bursts releasing the egg. The key is to have intercourse just before or after ovulation. This varies for women. It can range from CD12 to CD20 for women.

The luteal phase :- This is always constant for a women. So here the egg travels down to the uterus. If it meets a sperm on the way, a zygote is formed and if implantation happens you are pregnant, else the entire uterus lining with the egg is shed as the menstrual cycle.

I would suggest you to temp to get a feel of your body. Also contact a gynae before starting out to rule out hormonal imbalance. Your husband can undergo a SA. This way you will be better prepared.

All the best dear.

3. Explore

Explore New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thank you very much taking time to reply. I really appreciate your inputs and I will take your suggestions.

4. Explore

Explore New IL'ite

But, I have another question. I am pretty sure we have been having intercourse frequently around the ovulation period. So, that is why I am wondering why I got my period this time. Could it still take a couple of months to conceive even though we have Intercourse around the ovulation period ?

5. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

@Explore

It would be better to visit a gynae. It could be something as simple as high TSH. She would do the necessary CD3 tests also. Also your DH can have a SA done to weed out causes.

6. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Hi,

It can take upto a year for a normal couple,ie without any health issues to conceive.Since you are just 24 i dont think you need hit the panic button yet.Please keep on trying.Try an opk to find out the ovulation time (you normally have eggwhite consistency cm) and have contact on those days.Please relax as stress can play havoc while ttc.

7. wantmy2ndkid

wantmy2ndkid New IL'ite

@explore

Its depends upon your body and your harmonal levels and your hubbys health..... my simple suggesion is put your age a side..... just go to Gynec one time and get done all tests both of you... if everything is right, try natuarally for atleast 1 year..all the best