1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

help!fussy eaters

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anurinesh, May 3, 2014.

1. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi!
    my dd is very fussy while eating she always asks I want to eat but whenever I offer her a food she regrets for everything accepts cookies, strawberries and milk.
    Milk also she took 1/2 bottle and it will take her 1 hour to complete the milk
    what should I do to encourage her eating she is hungry but denies to eat
    then last she fills her stomach with milk only.
    I am very irritated by this and sometimes I slap her because she continuously asks me i want to eat something
    help me pls
    suggestions ideas and recipes are welcome
    what to do .......

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

For a week, to fix her eating issues, stay at home - avoid even grocery shopping and such errands.

Don't give her the milk. Or any other junk like cookies. Based on how old she is, there are milk requirement charts. stick to that amount, or in fact reduce it a bit and insist she eats other dairy. Keep telling her that she needs to eat healthy meals and talk to her about eating a variety of food. If she is hungry, she must eat properly. I'd go as far as to suggest that you stop sticking the stuff she eats instead of meals - that way, she can't get hold of a strawberry or cookie even by stealth.

You need to be really patient; hitting her / shouting at her only worsens the problem. Be firm, make eye contact, talk to her while she is eating. Have a conversation - Not about food but about everything under the sun so that she has pleasant memories of meal times. Oh! And no tv while eating.

Draw up a schedule for her day and allot time for food, play etc. explain it to her and just say you both will only eat at meal times. Factor in breakfast, lunch and dinner with 2 snack times in between. Give her a fixed place to sit and eat - let her pick one particular dining chair perhaps. Start with a thali style meal. Little bits if different stuff - carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, baby tomatoes, a bit of rice and dal or roti and dal or whatever your main meal is, some yoghurt, a few slices of fruit, cheese. Give her half an hour to finish it up. Let her eat In which ever order she wants. Don't comment on her style of eating or if she makes a mess. If she doesn't eat for a while, ask, "are you done?" If she says yes, just let her go - even if you think ( and know) she hasn't had enough.

then wait till the next meal/ snack time and again offer her only a healthy platter. (If she really hasn't eating anything, cover the plate and offer it again to her when she asks for something to eat.) It will make her upset but gently say, "we are not allowed to eat between meals dear. It will make our tummy hurt. Let's wait for the next meal." She might become more clingy so take the time to sit and play with her. Also ensure she is drinking plenty of water. (Avoid juices and sugar in the food as they just contain empty calories)

At snack time, again offer fruit/ salad, veg sticks, dry fruits etc. but don't let her binge on those. Just offer a bit on a little plate and don't refill. Then meal time again...

If you are consistent and just stay understanding of her frustration (not to mention, hunger) she should eating properly sooner. However of she realises that by throwing a tantrum or going on a hunger strike you will bend and give her milk or other favourites; she will turn this into a power game. Just don't play ball. (My friends son at 19 mo refused to eat at the nursery. They let him cry and sleep for nearly ten days without lunch. Then he started playing with his food. After the two weeks he started eating everything properly.)

good luck.

4 people like this.
  3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anu,

hitting the child is a strict NO :eek:mg:

gueshoo's post says it all..

4. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

hi
    @guesshoo i tried everything you said accept thali stlyle
    wht she do is first bite she takes she put in her mouth only not bite
    for 1/2 -1 hour i shout at her then only she finishes in next 1/2 hour
    i tried all med for making her eat.
    i Am really really very fed up of feeding her
    i ask doc also they said if she is active then no problem n prescribe hungry med

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Anu Try what @guesswho has written regarding 'letting go' and not giving anything between meals. Do not offer even a light snack. Don't give up in between. This method really works.

6. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

today i not give anything to her after she wake up but she dont ask me till 12.00 p.m at 12 she asks me a milk then I offered her lunch chappatti she regret to eat then curd rice that also she not eat then dudh semiya that also she not only one bite she eat and again asks for a milk as that was her sleeping time while sleeping she needs milk
    main problem is she is hungry but she will not eat solid foods only milk cookies only 1 strawberry too only one thats all she eat
    today I gave her aatta noodles she eat full
    few days i will try thali system lets see she started eating or not

7. ramyaramani

I have a fussy eater at home. She does not ask me for a meal. If I don't give her food she will ask for some junk. The onus is on me to provide healthy meals at regular intervals. I give my DD breakfast and give her 30 minutes to finish it. If I see that she has not touched her meal in the first 15 minutes I try to feed her. If she still says no and does not eat I don't give her anything else to eat.

8. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

how old your dd is mine is 2 year old by past three months she is doing like this only so I am really very fed up of her
    I took her to balcony also but she not eat at all
    I tried many new recipes for her but that also not work what if your dd not eat whole day
    what you do if you were in my place

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  9. ramyaramani

My DD is going to be 3. She has been a fussy eater since she turned 1. Did you check if your DD is teething?

If I was in your position I will give DD time limits for completing a meal. If she does not, then negotiate (only if this fussy eating is happening for over a week) to eat certain quantity. If nothing works leave her for that meal time. I will not offer any alternative. At the next snack time I will offer milk and some high calorie healthy snack.

10. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Anu, my DD is 2.3 yrs and she is also a fussy eater.Sometimes it bothers me a lot if she rejects food.then I would give her fruits and yogurt to compensate that part of meal.

Set a time for milk.Try giving her other fruits.

To understand kids we should get into their world.while feeding talk about her fav things like zoo,animals.

Try following the method of letting go.