1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help For A Friend With Marital Issues

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SinghManisha, Dec 18, 2018.

1. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii, thank you for responding. Since she has hit 40’s she no longer wants kids. It seems to me like she is not looking for intimacy anymore.

2. SinghManisha

Lavani, I do not think this is a issue with her looks or treatment of her husband. She always looked up to him and spoke highly of him. Her life revolves / revolved around him. In fact I am really shocked to hear about this . They seemed like a ideal couple.

She is fit and good looking . Though that should not be grounds for denying intimacy.

3. SinghManisha

That’s what I am wondering too .

4. SinghManisha

Shreema, thank you for responding .
    And thank you for reiterating that it is OK for a woman to feel wanted and desired. Can I DM you Incase my friend decides on separating? No pressure though. Also I am not sure she is at that stage yet. I would like to give her time to process and grieve. It’s 15 long years of pretending things are fine and then this sudden realization that it is not.
    I like your idea of writing her dreams and desires down. I might do that for myself one of these days.

5. SinghManisha

Sandhya, thank you for responding . I am not sure how much I can help besides listening to her. I would like to point out that barring the intimacy part they did have a good marriage she thinks . They did have few but some common interests, travelled extensively. He has been a big support for her with her family issues, career etc. But I do agree with you, I don’t think their marriage has had a chance to evolve .

6. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

yes, sure...

SinghManisha likes this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

People who deny something as basic as intimacy in marriage try to compensate by being extra nice.
    Men usually do it by being nice financially... Specially to her parents.
    Women compensate by feeding and taking extra care of his family.
    This way the spouse feels indebted to stay in the marriage inspite of being denied the basic rights.....or sometimes it is something as simple as deep guilt.

As for your friend.....since she is no longer looking for intimacy or divorce....she probably needs to find an aim in life other than her work.

Does she have any passions....art,reading ,writing ,music ,social work,spirituality.....anything that she can put her time and focus on .
    She needs to find something to focus on.

Is adoption an option ,in case she feels the need to be a mother? 40 is not old for adoption.
    Educated couple ,financially comfortable, mature....they will be considered extremely good candidates for adoption.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Rakhii, Laks09, 1Sandhya and 3 others like this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

well that clarified a lot. and now that seed of feeling desired has grown to a young bud, it will not let her rest now.
    she can try marital counselling if that is already hopeless, it is better to separate now.

because this is the start of entering into a depression. whole world will simply blame her anyway, if she in relationship acting depressed or she is alone. it is better to be alone and find her happiness. future is not certain or in stone she may or may not find someone who likes her .

SinghManisha likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

I am wondering do men know about these issues before getting into marriage ? Isn’t physical attraction one of the major criteria when looking to get married? Or do people in arranged marriages not address intimacy prior to getting married ? I don’t have the heart to ask her too many questions of how and why all this happened. My conversations with her are focused on the present and the near future.

She is a person with varied interests , I know and hope she will find a purpose in life.
    I discussed adoption with her and she wants to keep her options of leaving the marriage in the future and not be tied to it because of a child.
    Thanks for your response yellowmango. Gave me some clarity of her situation because honestly I have been very confused.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Adoption is really a good idea.
    Even if she divorces later, she can raise the kid on her own and also child support from her husband . A kid will give her a purpose in life

SinghManisha likes this.