1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Establish a Global Helpline in IL for women

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Vandhana, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear IL ites,

This idea came to me today on reading the plight of one our dear members. I think a lot of ladies the world over are in a similar situation like hers and don't know where to go or how to handle it.

So on this auspicious diwali day today, how about we start a collaborative effort from all members to establish in IL the following information the world over. (One might think that when we have the internet, we can get it from there, but then not everyone is net savvy, and the internet is such a vast jungle... It would be a good idea to have all such information in one place ready to refer to.)

I think the following info for each country is needed:
    1. Emergency number to call and the implications of what happens when DV case is reported.
    2. Names of Organizations which help women in such issues ( Indian, non profit, for profit, ) , a link to their website would help
    3. Knowing a woman's rights in the country of residence

Right now this is all i can think of, can all of you put forth more ideas on what other information will be useful and then if all interested ILites can research into this and start compiling the information in IL , it will be great.

What say ladies, shall we go ahead with this?

Vandhana

Vidya24 likes this.

2. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana

Happy Diwali. I think its a good idea to establish Global Helpline. It is a good step women who are living in India or different countries will get to know about their Rights and Helping agencies numbers and address.

I have one suggestion, before everbody start posting the suggestions under one link, it will be very confusing as more ideas will come in future by our IL members. Is it possible to start one thread or post for one country for example : Helpline or Rights for Women living in India only. So, people who want to provide information about India, could post under that post only. And It goes same for different countries also.

Hope I didn't confuse you with my suggestion. Thank you.

3. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Great Idea Vandhana!!

For starters there is the National Domestic Violence Hotline(National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) - Break the silence, make the call.) - It is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to provide services in more than 140 languages. Hotline advocates answer questions, provide safety planning and information as well as directly connect callers to domestic violence resources available in their local calling area.
    All calls to the Hotline are anonymous.

The link - http://www.sawnet.org/orgns/
    gives a list of south asian women's organizations that can help domestic violence victims.

US New York/New Jersey -
    1) Sakhi (Sakhi for South Asian Women) - Hotline is (212) 868-6741.

Sakhi for South Asian Women is a community-based organization in the New York metropolitan area committed to ending violence against women of South Asian origin.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
    2 people like this.
  4. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,

It is a very good idea:clap:clap.

There are many who do not know where to get help in times of need. Those who know about it, can help by putting in their details.

As Amicable said, it would be better for us to put the details in the Indus ladies world, under sub forums where the IL's from those places can give/ get help. Main helplines can be mentioned here in this column. Details can be left to the respective sub forums of the other cities.

Actually we would know what is going on where and can help others in trouble by telling them where to look for the help details.

It would be better if other IL's who live in the same city can voluntarily be of any help to theones in trouble, if thy come to know about it.

Love
    Latha :wave

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,

It is a very useful idea, and you have a heart in the right place to come up with a suggestion like this. It would look better under the sub-forums, atleast for readier reference.

regards
    Vidya

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vandhana,

It is a splendid idea. we could have them in the concerned sub-forums. there are already people who are associated with ngo for women and all,. They could come out with proper ideas based on their experiences with similar cases...

Way to go. yes I also read that particular post......at the same time the person who needs help should actually come forward for help and should be open to suggestions and advices..

7. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

A very bright noon Vandhana ma'am,

Indeed a useful thought! This might come in handy to those who are in need of the same. I will do my best to contribute; once i get first hand information about the different links. Will do a bit of homework that is required:-o.

Regards

8. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,

This would be a great Diwali gift to fellow ILs.

Can we have a direct link on the home page itself so that it becomes easier to locate
    ...also then it can be broken dowm city/state wise too.

Then a the list compilation starts more inputs will pour in.

Roopa.

9. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Ladies,

A couple of years back, I had referred an acquaintance of mine to Raksha in Atlanta. They were very helpful, even offered to get her an air-ticket back to India.

Here are their details:

Raksha, Inc.
    P.O. Box 12337
    Atlanta, Georgia 30355

Call Raksha toll free:
    (1 866) 725-7423
    (1 877) 672-5742

Office:(404) 876-0670
    Help Line: (404) 842-0725
    Fax: (404) 876-4525
    E-mail: raksha@raksha.org

1 person likes this.
  10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Please do start posting all the details you have in this thread. I have already asked Malathy about creating a separate sub forum for this. I will sort the information out and post it under the relevant threads, countries etc.... once the subforum is created. till then please continue to post information here.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Vandhana