1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

help - do you use US made blenders for idli batter?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sowparnika, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi all,
    i moved to the US just a few months back.i brought along an indian mixie converted to 110 volts, but it simply didnt work.
    we subsequently got a hamilton-beach blender(10 speed model 50200 MP),but it too stopped halfway when i was grinding the rice for idli batter...it does'nt run anymore...(managed to make adai batter and milaga podi, though...)(there seems to be no problem with the electrical outlet, as other appliances like rice cooker,toaster work )

i want to know if any of you use US made blenders for idli/dosa, adai batters, and what brands do you use,- does it come out well....

help me as i feel lost without my dosai & adai...

thanks in advance,
    sowpar

2. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

hi sowparnika,
    i had a US black & Decker mixie, but it did not work at all for indian batters.

last time when i visited India, i had bought a preethi mixie, and it works good for me. but the batter has to be made in batches. in my mixie, u can put nearly 2 cups of rice at a time.

hope it helps :)

regards,
    sreelata.s

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Will you be making idiles and dosais often? If so then I suggest you get the grinder.. During my initial years, I used to fight with it with american blenders.. tasty wasnt that great tooo.. but believe me once I got the grinder.. my idilies and dosais were a hit!! its worth the money ...

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sowparnika,

I even use to grind weekly once idly batter, i got Preethi chepro plus from India converted to U.S Volts, it works good.I'm using it past 2years.

I think you can import sumeet from Canada i guess, not sure i heard from some one.

If i get any information regarding this american brand blender which works better for our Indian spices grinding/batter, let me tell you surely.

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi sowparnika,

The best way to make idli and dosa batter is using the grinder. I got my LG grinder (with built in US adaptor) when I came from India many many years back.(Touchwood..it is still working)
    Instead of the mixie you could have bought the grinder.:)

Well, all is not lost.. since you dont have the grinder, the second best option is to use US blender. For this the best brand is OSTER blenders.

I feel they work well for idli /dosa batters, for making adai batter,milagai podi,dhaniya podi, curry leaf powder,paruppu podi,chutneys,kootus,kurmas,aruchuvitta sambar, thuvayal, juice and so on.

Infact Oster blender works well for all the above items...

But somehow for Idlis and dosas...(ESP IDLIS) when you make the batter in grinder...you get more fluffy and soft idlis (probably bcos the Urad dhal is well aereated when you use the grinder)

When you use the blender, please grind in small batches since it gets heated up fast.
    Also the proportion also varies when you use the blender. Sure you would be aware of this difference...right? If not, I will write the proportion of both IDLIS and DOSAS when you use the GRINDER VS BLENDER.

Ok then Nivedi, I don't want to bombard you with so many details.

Good luck !:2thumbsup:

Cheers
    Jithiks(Krithika)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  6. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi all,
    thanks to everyone for the replies...heartening to know that am not the only one with blender battles....
    krithika,
    i brought the mixie since i thought i could with small batches of batter since there are only two of us,and anway a mixie is needed for chutney,thugayal,podis,etc...so i thought i would bring a mixie instead of grinder...turned out to be a bad idea...bonk
    well, i'll try oster...
    i was told to use 3:1 prportion for the mixie...tell me if am wrong...
    and btw,i'm sowparnika,u can call me sowpar.i'm not nivedi...u seem to have mixed up both of us....:)
    thanks once again,
    sowpar

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowpar,

Sorry about the name mix up...i goofed up!!

Anyway, in the blender, the proportion for idli is 2:1...that is for 2 cups of idli rice, you use 1 cup of urad dhal. You can make it 3:1 if you are using WHOLE URAD GOTA.(MUZHU ULUNDHU)

By the way, I use WHOLE URAD GOTA and not URAD DHAL for Idlis and dosas. This makes the idlis more fluffy.

In the grinder the proportion for Idli is 4:1. Ofcourse we can also make dosas in this.

But if you want to make exclusive dosa batter you need to use 3cups rice :1 cup urad gota and this proportion is again 2:1 if you use urad dhal (split dhal)

This dosa batter is awesome especially for making MASALA DOSAS...since we can make it crisp on one side...and soft on the other...YUMMY. We can also keep the potato masala inside and fold it neatly...:goodidea:

Hope you get a good blender soon....

Cheers
    Krithika

8. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Try vitamix.com i have been using for 20yrs.It blends everything well.

9. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    WIth American blender, it doesn't grind very softly and also spent more time in grinding and after few mins, it just stops working.
    Same thing happened with my Indian mixie too...
    But I brought grinder and it is simply great for idly, dosa etc.

Good luck.

10. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I couldnt bring a mixie or grinder from India;so iam using an American blender(Oster brand) for grinding idli/dosa batter.It is very difficult to grind thoroughly using these blenders .The ratio which i follow is 3:1.Eventhough its tough with this blenders i somehow manage.If you get a chance try to buy an Indian mixie or grinder.While using an American blender always make sure that you grind in small batches & also dont run the blender continously(my blender got damaged because i carelessly ran it for few more minutes)hope this helps.