1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help - Clingy baby !

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Selvi, May 21, 2007.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Help me please! My kid who just turned 1 is too clingy now.. It started after coming back from India vacation. I think all the attention we and whole family gave him during that time made him too clingy.

Mornings when I leave him in daycare are becoming horrible now. He is crying soo much. Also may be because he is in new room along with toddlers in daycare. He used to be in infant room before vacation.

Even in house if me or husband not in his visual range he starts crying. Doesnt want to stay in his crib at all.

Is this seperation anxiety? Anything I can do to help clear this?

Any ideas please.

Thanks.
    :-D

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Selvi,

Good to see you back after the short vacation.

Sorry to hear about V being clingy. I guess it will be difficult for you to handle along with work load after the vacation.

I guess it is all because of the attention and pampering these kids receive here in India. Is he out of time difference effects? Is he getting good sleep? May be because of the change in place, time and people that he is clingy. You may need to give him some more time to settle.

Take care.

PS: I am worried about how difficult it is going to be with Kavya. She is already spoilt :icon_frown: .

M.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Girls!

You can't have the cake and eat it too?! :)))))

Just kidding....Selvi, surely it is too soon after the vacation. Give him some more time and be relaxed in your attitude. It will fall in place. Best of luck. Your son will be fine after his routine is set.

Induslady :) Enjoy the vacation first. You can worry later:) Have a great time.
    Kisses to Kavya........and also to your little one Selvi.

L, Kamla

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

Not to worry. Like M and Kamla said, it is too soon after coming back from his vacation. Babies will take anywhere upto 2 to 3 weeks to get back into their routine. So hang in there, he will be back to his old self in another week.
    In the meantime, why don't you send with him to his day care his favortie blanket or soft toy from home so that he will get this "false" sense of security.

Take care. Saw your pics and both you and Vishwa baby are too cute. I should come and pinch your cheeks!!

Love

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot M, V and Kamla!! I needed that reassurance.. I can see that Vishwa is getting back to his self. Still crying in daycare but has reduced a lot. I guess I just panicked. :mrgreen:

M, Vish didnt had any prob with time difference. Only when we reached India he was sleeping most of the days for a week. Here he was fine just the next day. Kavya would be fine too.. Enjoy ur time there.

Kamla, who doesnt want to have the cake and eat it too? Thanks for the assurance. Its always good to hear from experienced people.

V, my cheeks are not that soft, guess u r talking abt Vishwa.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:wave

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi,

I too saw pics of you and V- both of you are cute. You look like my cousin- so similar, you could be twins. Clingy baby- let him cling on, girl. Soon he will be off to play group, school, soccer and swimming, then later off to university, job and wife-- let the lil fella cling on to you now, enjoy it.

love
    Vidya

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Hi Selvi

K, V and V have given apt advices. I too am sailing on the same boat. Maybe he is going through the seperation anxiety phase which sets in around this age.

My 20 month old is still clingy. When I am around, he just wants to be with me even now. Vidya - your post made me feel good. I recently came across a post where you said that you were a Montessori teacher long time ago. Why don't you share some of your experience in this forum?

Selvi, I see that you are from Detroit too...!

-Gayathri.

2 people like this.
  8. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Vidya, I wold like to see ur cousin's pic.. send me if u have any. And what u r saying is true, he is growing so fast.. Cant believe one year gone already. .. Have fun in India!!

Gayathri, Just today Vishwa had his 1 year checkup. His ped said the same thing, seperation anxiety.. He has to grow of of it , no other way..
    btw, I m from Troy too.. near BigBeaver.. Where r u? :-D

:wave

2 people like this.
  9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Selvi,

Will try to send cousins pic. I told her the same thing,

'Dear Manjula, I have a friend Selvi, you two look like twins. Of course you would be the evil twin---'

Cousin is naturally miffed with me and refused to send her pic. No probs, she will cool down and I will fwd her pic.

Gayatrir.

Glad that my post made u happy. I worked for a Montessori group when I was 18. I tried to implement the US model of earning while learning. I dont have much wisdom to share.But it was a rewarding time for me, to learn that 3 yr olds can be much,much smarter than me.

V24

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Selvi,

I live close to Big Beaver too...a small world - eh? I shall PM you the exact location.

Vidya,

Earning while learning in India - that's great and must have been novel and bold a decade ago. Every now and then, I get a glimpse of a child's intelligence. I think I need to be more sensitive to capture more of those instances...

-Gayathri.

1 person likes this.