1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Help around Edison, NJ - Grocery shopping and meeting place

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by swahini, Jun 19, 2013.

1. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I live in Hudson valley but couple of my old classmates live in Southern NJ and Philly. We have not met for about 13 years now. We would like to meet in Edison, NJ because that turns out to be central place for everyone.

Now that I am visiting Edison, NJ anyways, thought might as well do some grocery shopping so that next visit will be around Diwali times when there are sales (I heard so). Can someone local help me with it?
    - Which grocery stores are best? i.e one stop shopping? Of course, competitive price expected. (I heard that all these desi stores are on one street only. It will be great if someone can post the address. Any trick with parking?)
    - Are there any Indian restaurants which I 'must' try? Our local Indian restaurants are pathetic. No specific area cuisine but something like basket chaat like in Lucknow's Royal Cafe, or Pani Puri from Mumbai beach, I could die for :)
    - All of us have little kiddos (5, 4 and 8 months), so is there any place, preferably a park or some indoor place where we could hang out for few hours? (or any other idea is welcome).

Thanks a lot.

2. TheBeliever

TheBeliever Silver IL'ite

hey swahini,

Apna bazaar in Oak tree road is one big grocery shop where you can find from A-Z.No parking problem here.And about good chats Bombay talk on the same road is the best place..very tasty chats...You have a parking problem here..So you can find a public parking nearby so park there and walk..But dont miss it!

Menlo Park mall is the best place to spend time and ofcourse for a get together..You have theatres and dinings there too.Hope this helps..

3. TheBeliever

And Johnson Park is a very big park here..great place for kids!!Google the names and you will get the address

4. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

You guys have Apna Bazaar? Lucky folks.. I think Hudson Valley is the last place in the US when anybody thinks of opening stores.
    Edit - The ratings are pretty bad for this store. Hows Patel brothers or Sabzi Mandi?

Thats 35 miles from Apna Bazaar !!
    How about Roosevelt Park or Merill Park? They seem within 3 miles territory. Aren't they good for kids or just for taking a walk for the elderly?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. TheBeliever

Sabzi mandi and Patels parking will always be full thats why i didnt mention those names..They are also good but have some patience for parking :)

I dont know about the parks you have mentioned ..We always go to Johnson park ...May be someone else who know about these parks can help...

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Roosevelt park is wonderful :)) Rasoi has wonderful lunch buffet. You can thank me later ;)

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

B/w woodbridge area has indoor playarea. Have a great time

8. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

On weekends too? Are you talking about Rasoi II at 1567, Oak Tree Road, Iselin? They do not list buffet in the menu.

Could you give me detailed address please.

Many thanks in advance.

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

yes rasoi II. They have buffet in afternoon, weekend buffet is elaborate :)
    I meant wood-bridge mall has indoor play area.

10. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

I just wanted to bump this thread to check if anybody has any extra tips. We plan to meet this weekend.

Any idea on Woodbridge mall parking, i.e. if its easy to find (pls. note, I have never been in this area and my GPS is 2 years old)