1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help - American licensed home day care or Indian lady?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by snar, Jul 16, 2010.

1. snar

snar New IL'ite

Hi,

I have a daughter who is 2 yrs and 5 months old. She has been going to a day care center for 10 months now but she doesn't enjoy it and has not been very happy there. So now we want to pull her out and put her in a home based day care. We are hoping that a smaller setting will help her come out of her shell. At home she is very active and talkative but at the day care center she is totally quiet and unresponsive.

We have 2 options. One is an American home based day care. We went to visit the lady and she is really nice. She is licensed and has said that she will offer vegetarian food to my daughter because we are veg. But we are just worried:
    - We just don't know what to expect from an American lady.
    - Their house has a very long driveway and is surrounded by woods so the house cannot be seen from the street. Most Americans would want their kids to go to such a place because of the safety of being away from the street but I've always wondered how people live in such isolated houses.

Basically it is just fear of the unknown with the American lady.
    One of our neighbors (American) recommended this lady to us and we like the lady also. She says she will do arts and crafts, etc. She also has a lot of toys and a playground with swing/slides in her backyard.

The other option we have is a Gujrati lady who stays on our street with her daughter and son-in-law and takes care of her 1-yr old granddaughter. She is not licensed but she has experience in baby sitting. But we cannot expect her to do any arts/crafts with my daughter or give her a lot of attention because she also takes care of her own grand daughter. Our concern here is our daughter will completely lose touch with the American world that she will have to eventually deal with. Also this lady is not licensed and there won't be any major activities. But somehow just the fact that she is Indian gives me and my husband a lot of comfort. We also feel that may be our daughter will be comfortable there because she will be with a grandmom-like person.

Which one should we choose? Any opinions? Has anybody left their kids with American homebased day cares? What has your experience been? Any experience you have had with American care takers will be very helpful.

Thank you for making it to the end of this long post. Looking forward to some replies.

Thanks!

2. cuties

cuties Bronze IL'ite

I replied to your question in another post, sorry didn't see this one. I was thinking that since your daughter is almost 2 1/2, have you thought of the options of a montessori school? I have heard gr8 things about it and I know a few friends whose kids go to montessori schools and they love it. They usually have a daycare center along with it. They might be a bit more expensive than regular daycares, but from what I have heard, they are worth it.

3. snar

snar New IL'ite

Thank you cuties for responding in this thread and the other thread. We would like to put her in Montessori but the one near our place has only 3 or 5 hr days. The plan is to move to another town and put her in a Montessori-daycare by mid next year. Grand plans! For now we're going to try the American lady 3 days a week and see how it goes.

4. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

At 2.5 years, I would go with the American lady as she will teach your child interesting crafts and it will be engaging. A younger infant would benefit from the car the gujrati lady would be offering

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Based on the information you have provided, I would agree with WFT - I would prefer the American home day care since the care giver offers more activities that will be better for your child's age. It will also give her the chance to mingle with kids of her age. The plus points are that she is licensed and certified and you have recommendations that you trust.

My older one went to a home daycare run by an Indian lady until he was 2 and then we moved him to a center. My younger one went to an American home daycare and I really liked her (still like her).