1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

help... abhinav is not eating :(

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by abhismom, Apr 16, 2010.

1. abhismom

abhismom New IL'ite

Abhinav turned one last week and his appetite has dropped drastically... he wont eat anything in the morning no bread, no cereal, no dosa whatsoever i make... the only thing he likes is fruits like pears strawberries etc.... afternoons with great difficulty i have to suff in 2 tbsp of rice... but he loves cooked carrots that he can eat by himslef... dinner is usually curd ice ... we make him sit in front of the laptop put some nursery rhymes and stuff the food in... he drinks arnd 500ml of milk everyday and thats all he eats... i am worried abt his growth now... he was just 9.7 kg at his 1 year chck up... cant believe it.. he was 8 kgs when he was 6 months old and now this... his doc didnt seem to be worried though... but i am worried... anyone else kids doing the same... what shall i do... any ideas? how do i get more calories and iron inside him???

Desperate mom

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

You must have heard it a million times before, one more time. Children need to double their birth weight by 6 months and tripe it by first year. If he is doing that he is doing good. Usually between the 6 months and 1st birthday is when the child learns to crawl, cruise if not walk. All the motion will mean the child is burning up even if he is eating to a full stomach.
    Try not to make food an issue, the more you force your kid, the more you stuff him the more he is likely to be off food.
    You are doing good by offering healthy food, add some protein into every meal. Do search for Iron rich food for toddlers in wholesomebabyfood.com. If your doc is not worried, then you have no cause for worry. Just keep repeating "tripled his weight by 1st birthday" whenever you feel a bit uncertain ;-). FWIW my son was 7.8 kg (close to quadrupled his weight) at 1st bday and is a very healthy 3 year old now. HTH

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    well,be prepared.he has entered toddler phase & this period will mean lots of struggle just for sake of resisting the mother (and irritating her in every possible way)my son would refuse to get into bath & then refuse to get out.again refuse to wear clothes & then to sleep...............when u are at ur hair pulling stage they will become perfect darlings following routine like before ........this will go on & on.

ur son has started with food which is hardest to ignore.remember to focus on his activities.if he is active enough it means he has enough energy but if he is dull then u need to worry.

don't lay too much focus on weight.my son weight same as urs during 6 th mth & 1 year routine check up.still,he is doing nicely(he is 23 mths old).

avoid giving food infront of tv & laptop.

let him eat himself even if he manages one bite.i find my son eating 2 out of 3 meals nicely & 5 out of 7 days properly.means he will eat B'fast & lunch but will not at dinner.same way he will eat mon to friday nicely but will not on sat & sun(or any other day of week)
    don't worry much.take care
    pragati

4. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    My DD was only around 7.5 during her first birthday.Now she has started gaining weight slowly.So need not worry abt Abhis weight.

Try to introduce variations in his meals.
    As he drinks milk,try to make ragi malt/sathu maavu for his breakfast.Its really nutritious.Some kids dont take rice when it is mashed.. You can make carrot rice for him and check.
    Mix some boiled toor dal and ghee with rice.Then add lots of curd such that curd's taste is dominant.
    Try introducing new stuffs.(keep an eye on allergies). Try to sit together and eat.Give him a separarte dish if possible. Make balls of food and put it one by one on his plate.Atleast this will create some interest in him.

5. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Hi,

I have tried these methods while feeding my daughter from when I started solids for her. Just check if you can try any of these.

* In a bowl, put some healthy snacks ( in small bits) like puffed rice
    (pori)/rusks/ home made chips/ cooked white rice + lil ghee etc.,
    Keep this bowl in front of ur son, while feeding him the regular meal/kanji etc., He will start eating whatever in the bowl, 'coz babies love to eat on their own. When's busy eating the stuff in the bowl, you can meanwhile feed the regular meal.

*Buy some books with big, bright pics on it and read it out. While hes busy looking into it, u can go ahead with ur feeding.

*Try to divert him a lot by telling stories, giving toys to play while ur feeding him.

*Do not ever beat him up/ yell if he refuses to eat or stuff his mouth with food forcefully. This will make him hate food more.

*Try your best to eat your meal/ dinner, while ur feeding him (I know this is a difficult task). He will enjoy ur company while eating.
    He will definitely make a mess of the place, but when nothing above works, u can give this a shot. Anything's worth a try.

Good Luck!
    Warm regards
    Swetha Shreedhar