hello ladies in shanghai, cooking tips and shortcuts for a newbie in shanghai

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by ravioli1970, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

hello ladies in shanghai,
    my sister has just moved to shanghai and she hates cooking!! we r north Indians and I wanted to know if u shanghai ladies cud suggest some shortcuts and what is available in shanghai regarding Chinese cooking and I am talking about indian Chinese style of cooking like fried rice , Manchurian and other stir fry cooking and any other shortcuts appealing to the whole family

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

There are many readymade food and curry paste available in shanghai supermarket.. there are many chinese food ready to cook.. steam or boil.. readymade roti and varities of paratha is available... veg and non veg pizza ready to eat is available just microwave or bake and eat. If you preer non veg then many soups are available.. supermarkets have steamed buns stuffed with meat/veg and cooked noodles too.. its cheaper too... there are many choices if you can eat or digest chinese food... but i dont prefer eating out as they may use lard(pig fat) to cook. I am in nantong 1 1/2 hr drive from shanghai.. in my place i get steamed buns in auchan which is very clean in taste no lard used. Plain buns and veg buns are the only thing i prefer to eat.. china have a lot of ready to cook options compare to india.. you can get corn, rice, black rice porridge too... You need to search initially and check how hygienic it is.

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

If you are looking for home made then.. what i do is i always keep boiled potatoes and dough for chapati.. so i can cook potato curry and chapati any time or sandwich.. cut vegetables are also available and frozen green peas, corn.. you can always cook vegetable rice in ziffy... tortilla wraps and varities of cheese and cream cheese available here.. tofu is available.. you can get fried tofu in supermarket. Here potato patties also available which can be used to make burger anytime.. easiest thing for your sister. I feel once she arrives here and visits few supermarkets she can make her mind and get easiest way of cooking for a lazy person :) . She will always find stir fry easiest thing as all the vegetable get cooked so fast.. so much of water in them.

4. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite