1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hello God! Are You Sick?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jul 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Ramana Maharshi always told to enquire, ' Naan Yaar', ' Who Am I', the basic problem with us is that, we still dont know who we are yet we define and describe everything else, we try to analyse what is right and wrong.

Maybe one day, just one day we should dive deep within ourselves, keep all the religion aside and ponder or ask questions to ourselves and ask ourselves 'Who Am I'..

Am i this body, this name, this gender, this mother, daughter, who am i above and beyond all this.....

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

That was a one-time fraud. This is an annual pre-Rath Yatra joke.

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

keep joking. your capability is so low

5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I was not aware of this ritual. A friend of mine says we put fruits as an offering to our deities, knowing fully well, that they can not eat. If they could, we would be very cautious and reduce the quantity of offerings.
    There are so many rituals borne out of faith or blind faith as we may call it.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Thank you I will. But capability for what? Blind belief may be. Tes I am incapable of that.

7. chanchitra

The fruits are given to devotees

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. chanchitra

No you are well capable of selective narrating

9. chanchitra

There is a huge war going on if kali will drink?
    If kali will eat meat?

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Beliefs that are harmful or unfairly restrict sections of the people, or those are out of date, need to be called out, and we have seen that many such practices have ceased to exist. The customs and rituals that you have made fun of in the first post do not fall in these categories. The are fairly harmless rituals or ceremonies that make the followers feel closer to or identify with the Supreme Being. Last July, the Odisha government invoked Lord Jagannath's quarantine example to popularize COVID restrictions. What's wrong with a practice that came useful at times like this to convince the masses about quarantining?

The fever and ceremonial check-up of the idol are symbolic like other rituals and ceremonies we see in any celebration, not just religious celebrations. Be it the cutting of a ribbon at a store opening, the Obamas practicing how to curtsy before the Queen, or my neighborhood folks getting their knickers in a knot because some house is not displaying the American flag properly. Indeed there are elaborate rules on how to raise and lower the flag, how exactly to fold it and how to dispose an tattered flag.

Life would be very boring without rituals, pomp, splendor and beautiful temples, colorful festivals and yatras or parades. Unless a practice is actively harming someone, let it be, let them be.

This is only my opinion. I am not saying this is the only and right take on the Puri temple's rituals. But I have to wonder what do we gain, what does anyone gain by mocking the beliefs of those who participate in such ceremonies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.