1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello all..planning a trip to Switzerland

Discussion in 'Indians in Switzerland' started by Sunnyb, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Sunnyb

Sunnyb New IL'ite

Hello All,
    This is my first post on Indusladies.com. I cant tell you how happy I was to find this website, where I can get experiences from Indians living in Europe.

A little intro...my wife, daughter and I live in US. We are here since the past 8 years now. We have never been to Europe (except while transiting through airports on the way to India)

We have been planning a trip to Switzerland since long time and now it seems that we will be able to take the trip in May or June. But for us to lock down the details, we need some info/tips. I have read the other threads on this forum about which places to see and how to travel etc. But some of the questions I have is...

1) We will have 4 days for the trip and based on all I read, the popular destinations are Zurich, Lucerne, Geneva, Bern, Mt Titlis, Mt Zangfrau. I am sure there are many others, but I have no idea. What are your suggestions for us to visit in 4 days? We dont want have a hectic schedule and take is easy on the trip. I was thinking that if we fly into Zurich and then go to Lucernce and then use Lucerne as the central point to visit other places. How does that sound?

2) Hotels: Can I book a hotel in Lucerne and take day trips from there and come back to the hotel in the evenings/night? If yes, which hotel would you suggest as decent, safe and economical? We will have kids with us so need to be sure about this. I have been looking on travel websites and hotels on an average cost about 150 euro per night for the ones that are listed as 3 stars atleast.

3) Food: From what I read, I am pretty worried about food. First I hear that the food is not good outside and secondly it is expensive. I did read where people suggested that cooking food is good option. What really works on this front? If we plan to eat outside, can we manage on something less expensive?

There are many other logistics involved, but I think if we get a good idea on the above 3, it should help us finalize our details.

I would be greatly thankful for any and all advice that you can give us.

Thanks,
    -Sunny

2. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

3. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Hi Sunny,

I went to Europe (including Switzerland) last month. From my exeperience, what you have said about food is pretty much correct. We had taken a tour packeage which worked out very well.

If you are interested to take a packeage, here is a link for swiss for five days deal. The only thing is that you have to join the tour on the coach in London. TourDetails (TourDetails)

Good luck!
    Vib

4. Sunnyb

Sunnyb New IL'ite

Thanks for the infromation.

Due to some reasons, we will not be able to take a package tour. So we will have to plan the logistics and travel by ourselves. We are planning to fly into Zurich.

The one question I have is, if we are to stay in one place and then take day trips from there, which place do you suggest between Zurich, Lucerne and Interlaken?

I have read and heard from multiple sources that Interlaken is a great place to stay at. But I want to know if this would be an ideal place to stay at for 5-6 days and whether we will be able to travel to other places such as Bern, Titlis easily from there.

-Sunny

5. Sunnyb

Sunnyb New IL'ite

Hi All,
    The final details look like this...

Arrive in Zurich or Geneva (based on the best airfare available)
    Take Swiss Saverpass and go to Lucerne. Use Lucerne as the central place from where we will take day trips.
    Day trips will be done to the following places:
    1. Zurich
    2. Engleberg/Mt Titlis
    3. Interlaken/Mt. Junfraujoch
    4. Lake Brienz
    5. Local at Lucerne

So each day we will be coming back to our lodging in Lucerne. Please let me know if anyone has any comments on this.

6. manjupriya

manjupriya New IL'ite

Hi Sunny,

Looks like you have been to Swiss recently. Can you plz help me with some tips?

I am planning for a trip to Switzerland by the end of Aug or beginning of Sept. I know its kind of late to plan. But no other way. I want to do it this year before Winter.

Can you give me some tips on which all places to visit in Swiss? Also I would be travelling from US to Swiss-stay for 5 to 7 days and then to India. So my main question would be: could I stay in one place (might be Lucerne or Interlaken) and go to diff places in Swiss during the day time and see all places (just to avoid the hassle of carrying my baggages everywhere)?

How many days are really needed to cover most of Swiss?

Hopefully its the right time I am planning to travel in Swiss.

Thanks in advance!

-Manju