1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hell hath no fury like what?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    My reply is
    :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
    Well, I don't want to comment in the respected gentleman's absence, for whatever reason !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hello sir,

these cockroaches made me to dispose my dear "Thirupathi Venkatachalapathi samedha Padmavathi Thayar" framed picture. it was an aged old picture used by my grandmother. a golden colour carving of Lord Ventkatachalapathi and Padmavathi Thayar was actually glued to a "blue velveted" sheet and that was framed.

these cockroaches took a nice refuge in the velvet sheet and started expanding their empire all over the body of the Lord and His consort.

i agree to your historic invention and existence of cockroaches even before the evolution of human beings, as my grandmother said that she saw cockroaches in the picture when she was 7 years old.:-D

but i do not agree with your point that it is better to leave the cockroach upside down than to kill it. you know why? the mere existence of it will kill us first.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Sri Did i not advice you that by the powers bestowed on my I should officially ban your friend from this thread?!?!? Now see how she's replied..If it werent for you I am quite capable of giving a befitting reply..but thought I'll wait for you to step in..:bowdown and PROTECT her :)

4. Chitvish

Well, Madam,
    ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’
    So, I take leave (only from this thread) !
    I do not want my friend to be "pushed" into an embarassing situation.SinceI am his good friend (unlike you), I can never do it to him.
    Let me see, how much more spice you are capable of adding in your individual capacity! - ugh !!:spin
    C.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC & C
    Let me first put to rest all your speculations about my absence. While I was cruising over the most exciting places on the globe in my single engined aircraft, it crashed somewhere in the deep Amazon forests. It took me three days to find my bearings and get back to civilisation. If you think, I am rambling as usual , you are right! I was just lost without my internet connectivity for three days and those three days were like being in a 'dhikku teriyada kaadu'!

Now coming to your exchanges, I must thank you for the same as they kept my thread alive in my absence! But I should also confess that most of it went above my head. With all my claim to English language, I just could not think of a word rhyming with Niagara. I even browsed for it and found pellagra and podagra and both seem to be some kind of human ailments. I knew that you would not be thinking of some ailment while having your exchanges. Could it be Agra, the ultimate destination every diehard romantic?

Whatever it is, it must be quite a honourable one coming from the most venerable ILite!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Vanaja
    I must thank you for providing an irrefutable evidence for the existence of cockroaches from time immemorial! I agree with you that a cockroach lying immobile on its back is hardly any consolation. I know people who get scared to death even at the sight of a dead cockroach!
    I always wonder how Lord Balaji can be indulgent with hoarders and black marketeers but now I realise how tough it is for Him to put up with all who seek His reuge, including the cockroaches that use His picture as a breeding ground!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    Now, you are really "rambling", definitely not senile at all !
    It is like
    ONNum theriyada pappa
    Pottuk koNdaaLaam thaazppal!
    ஒன்றும் தெரியாத பாப்பா
    போட்டுக் கொண்டாளாம் தாழ்ப்பாள் !

Now, I can't explain the meaning of this to you, old man !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Cheeniya

But I can explain the meaning to you.
    Only enigmatic women with unspeakable secrets will require a strong lock for their hearts. But an innocent girl will have no need for a lock as she will never burden herself with such secrets. The famous sentence that you have quoted is normally given as an example of antithesis.
    Sri

9. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri... hilarious post that gives the roaches its due. In our home as long as DH and I were single we were always gifted to stay with brave roach hunters. After marriage we realized our weakness only after our first encounter with the creepy crawlies. As long as we were in the north not many insects really came into the house because of changing seasons and cold winters. As soon as we moved to FL we were literally bugged. Bugs in all forms, colors, shapes and sizes are seen in the south. Unfortunately GA & FL are roach capitals of US. We were greeted by dozens of creatures we didn't even know existed on this planet and it became a ritual for us to spot, trap and identify them in order to learn about their life cycle and their venom if any. Though our first encounter was an "almost dead" frog trapped in our car my first personal critter encounter was a huge roach that looked larger than life especially because it was sitting so close to my face on my shirt. If only it had sensitive hearing it would've died of a massive coronary failure at the sound of my screams!! Now we've come a long way from there to picking them up with paper towels.

In the fight for our survival we had to learn to kill them or live by their shadow. If at all possible I'd leave the job to my DH to defend me from the critters but sometimes I just have to step up to the job. Now we not only have an array of insecticides to battle during different times of the year but also we have them placed strategically lest one should get stranded facing a bug alone with no one to help! If there's a reason for us to hate FL its mainly the creepy crawlies and the unrelenting heat that keeps them alive all through the year. In short FL is just not a retirement community only for the winter birds from the north but for all critters universal!!!

-L.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    The roach capital of US is indeed an original thought. Thus FL makes Washington DC pale into insignificance though there may be quite a few who might consider the US President a cut above the roaches! I can appreciate how a person who had lived under the protection of able cockroach hunters since birth would feel when suddenly finding herself totally unprotected against the loathsome creatures. I admire the way you have evolved into such a strong-willed person who could handle a roach nonchalantly with a strip of paper like some of the kungfu fighters who could create havoc with anything in their hands!

Your description of 'Bugs in all forms, colors, shapes and sizes' reminds me of a Kannadasan song from Paava Mannippu where the hero sings of 'aada vantha athanaiyum aandavanin pillayada'! (All the critters gracing the planet are the children of God). It's ok for a poet of such a calibre taking a benign view of our fellow critters but to ordinary mortals like us, it is difficult to develop a feeling of benevolence towards the scary things.
    Sri