1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy State Of Mind

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Mind is a mystery because it is nothing but a cauldron of thoughts. Mind plays a dominant role in shaping or reshaping our lives. No one knows why and how a thought arises in our mind. Sanatana Dharma indicates that thoughts arise from our encryption as we had some passions to do certain actions or did some actions the benefits or suffering of which had not occurred. Observing these thoughts without controlling them gives us the ability to understand why we came into existence. That gives the ability to shape or reshape our minds to reduce our sufferings as consequences of our past actions. Finding the purpose of our life is a long journey and before that we need to involve ourselves in healthy state of mind and peaceful. What are the steps we can take to achieve this goal? Irrespective of the age of an individual, these steps could be taken at any time.

Self-confidence – Everyone of us need to believe we have inherent nature besides our individual nature that could help ourselves and help others around us. This is not the mind’s analytical skill but the power inherent in us which functions through intuition. The voice of this intuition may not be loud but when observed, provides a guideline for right living. This being has body of principles that are aligned with the universal law and depending on the level of development of our mind, self-confidence is given a boost. It is not the ability of our mind to analyze things in life but its ability to tap this power that is defined as confidence in Self. The closest to the Self is our intellect.

Potential – A person with health mind always things that “I haven’t yet reached my potential”. The potential is the theoretical ceiling limited by the capacity of the mind using its current life experiences. The potential of the individuals grows from the healthy habits that include the company that they keep, the information they seek, how they maintain their health, what they eat, the energy they tap and use wisely benefiting themselves and others around them. The attitude of self-fulfillment and self-sacrifice accepting the outcome of the developmental effort is important. These individuals are always in the path of constant self-development leading to constant integrated awareness.

Self-offering – Those motivated individuals who keep on building self-confidence and in the path of finding their potential believe they can impact and contribute significantly to the society and to the world. They look for opportunities to make others happier as they find happiness in those actions. Giving is one of the most powerful ways to make ourselves happier. Once this path is chosen, all that is needed for a life to exist develops around those individuals as what goes around comes around as well.

Defining ourselves – We define who we are and there is no need to find out where and how we fit in this world. For this, one needs to know himself better than anyone else including all strengths and weaknesses. It is like looking into a mirror and seeing our own reflection. What we built as our character using our mind is what we are and that is what would be visible to others. We don’t have to wait for others to tell us that as we already know who we are. The world is not a panel of judges for us to manipulate the judges to make us feel better about ourselves. We need to feel good inside about ourselves.

Continuous improvement - This happens only when we know our strengths and weaknesses. While it is essential to focus our attention to our weaknesses and eliminate them, it is also important not to feel contented with our strengths either. Life is about continuous improvement from the time of birth until death. Transformation of our lives is nothing but transformation of our thoughts, words and all associated actions to be united to achieve peace.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Balajee, Anusha2917, Amica and 4 others like this.

2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Viswa uncle,

Such an awesome topic and it is wonderfully presented as always. I admire your way of collecting data and how you represent them. A healthy state of mind is what I am trying to achieve for some time. I am making baby steps towards the unwavering mind then I will have a big fall and this cycle continues.

The way you have represented the argument through self-confidence, potential, self-offering, the definition of one's self and continuous improvement is the first for me. It truly made me dissect my thoughts and beliefs and it makes me understand more about my self.

When it comes to the purity of the mind, I remember one of the Nayanmar ( one of the 63) Poosalar. I have studied that he couldn't afford to build a temple or visit a temple. So he built a temple in his mind and worshipped daily ritually in his mind. Lord Shiva was extremely pleased with his devotion and purity and gave him his darshan and mukthi. This story has stuck in my mind. I always think, whatever actions we do outwardly as long as our mind is not pure that won't benefit us.

Thank you uncle, it is a wonderful post.
    Love,
    Vani

Thyagarajan, messedup and Viswamitra like this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Very clearly explained lots of things which is not an easy task. I can connect myself with this. Everytime when we fail to move ahead one can observe after sometime that every failure had made us come some steps forward too. The important thing is the direction in which we are moving. Thanks for writing such positive thoughts and help everyone to understand their own self. :worship2:

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

My Dearest Vani,

Thank you for your first response. A very good example you have given for the purity of mind. The story of Poosalar continues further. The Pallava King Kadavarkon built a Shiva Temple in Kanchipuram. When he was about to perform consecration, Lord Shiva came in his dream and told him about the temple in Thiruninravur. The King went their only to find there was no temple. When he inquired with Poosalar, he told him that he built the temple in his heart. The King prostated in front of Poosalar understanding his devotion. Eventually, Poosalar built his temple in the heart and worshiped until his death.

Health state of mind is essential for the well-being for everyone of us. We are all making steps to have it. Thoughts vary from person to person based on the prior encryption and create human nature whereas inherent nature remains the same for all of us. Letting that ahead of our human nature results in great spiritual growth and development.

Purity comes from our effort to make the mind sync with our inherent nature as inherent nature provides the direction for right living. When this purity is established, our relationship with people around us improves as we see unity of inherent nature in each one of us. That state is healthy and considered as divine state.

periamma, Thyagarajan and girvani like this.
  5. Viswamitra

@messedup,

Thank you for your response. Understanding ourselves is the greatest goal in life. That dissects our developed qualities from our inner being. It is not possible for us to eliminate all our unwanted qualities overnight. The transformation happens over a period of time when we begin to understand our inner self and our mind syncs with it. What I had explained above are the preparation to reach this destination. I am so happy to know that you connected well with this snippet.

Failure and success is a measure by our own mind whereas the mind itself transforms based on the habits, our company, healthy lifestyle, positive energy and so on. As you rightly said, the relevant measure is the direction in which our life goes which determines quality of our life. That is directly dependent on quality of our mental health.

Thyagarajan and messedup like this.
  6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Thank you uncle for the detailed story of Pusalar.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks for aesthetics of mind which itself is a mind boggling esoteric science.
    2. Only persons of deep understanding like you can explain it to me. Thinking pattern ,the triggers, and the method by which triggers associated with main or mains are itself a vast net.
    4. To control the mind, monks always sought solitude like forests and caves away from cacophony of mundane matters. 5. A time spent in retreat, helps cogent thinking planning decision making etc.
    6. I wonder whether such thinking pattern exists among tamed and wild animals.
    7. NOBEL Dr. Jagadish Chandra Bose established the plants sense impending dangers and they do distinguish between melody and harsh noise.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God makes the mind subdued.

Viswamitra and messedup like this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for putting this subject in simple words. As said in Gita, it is possible to control the mind by constant practice. A healthy mind resides in a healthy body. If and that is the BIG If, one can control the mind, one can achieve anything.
    Lesser mortals are busy arranging two times bread.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir:

You must read the recent snippet of Smt. Jayasala titled "Maya and Physics" and she articulated the vagaries of the mind better than anyone could. Mad monkey playing with water bubble is how the mind and body are described. Jelly fish thinks better than human is the opinion of the science. The animals lack sixth sense but comply with the universal law. We have sixth sense but violates the universal law regularly. The plants and animals give something to take something from the world. Melodious bhajans sung MS Amma is the best fertilizer for the plants. The plants react to the positive vibes and negative vibes of human.

I have mentioned this before to @Srama but I am repeating this to you. In "The Ringing Cedar Series titled "Anastasia" written by Vladimir Megre the author explains how the seeds put in our mouth for a few minutes mixed with Saliva and then planted in our backyard could produce fruits that could cure our diseases. The plants do have the ability to understand how to serve the universe.

Viswa

Srama likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

You are right. When people don't have food on the table to feed the family, there will never be a motivation to think about anything else including personal growth and development. That is why removing poverty is the single largest goal for the entire humanity. A hungry child can't even learn something new but even at that stage they wish others well. Here is a video: