1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Oil For Indian Cooking?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Rihana, Apr 21, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I use this coconut oil for most of my cooking. Both veg and non veg.
    I haven't tried this avacado oil from Costco. Can we use this for our Indian cooking? For frying, cooking?
    I have tried Costco grapeseed oil. I just got that once just to see if it's ok for our cooking. It was good. So I used to buy that oil and used for an year. Now I have changed to coconut oil, peanut oil and gingelly oil.

Rihana likes this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I get it in Indian store

Rihana and gknew like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes I use it daily for Indian cooking.
    I have also used it for making puris, but it has some flavour so you may not be very convinced.
    If you have used coconut oil for deep frying then this is not at all an issue.
    But it’s been really long since I deep fried.

I still have a big can of Sunflower oil which was bought for deep frying :grin:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Rihana and gknew like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Here is an interesting video about cooking oils. This guy is quite popular and he does videos on what to buy and not to buy at various grocery stores.

5. shahpriti

shahpriti New IL'ite

Coconut and palm oil, which were the major sources of dietary fat for centuries in most parts of West Africa, have been branded as unhealthy highly saturated fats. Their consumption has been purported to increase blood cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of coronary heart disease. This adverse approach has led to a decrease in their consumption in West Africa and they have been substituted for imported vegetable oils. Recent information, however, indicates some beneficial effects of these oils, in particular their role in nutrition, health, and national development. There is a need for a better understanding of their effects on health, nutritional status and national development. Therefore, this paper attempts to review the roles that coconut and palm oil play in these cases in developing countries, as a means of advocating a return to their use in local diets.

Palm oil, the oil obtained from the oil palm tree (Elaeis guineensis) is one of the most widely used cooking oils in West African countries. (1)

Benefits of using coconut oil while cooking:
    Coconut oil is about 100 percent fat, of which 90 percent is saturated fat. This is the reason that coconut oil, when kept cold or at room temperature, has a solid texture. Fat is made up of small molecules called fatty acids, and coconut oil contains many types of saturated fatty acids.

[​IMG]

Heart Health
    Weight Loss
    Helps In Reducing Hunger
    Helps With Fertility
    Helps With Indigestion

You can add coconut oil to coffee or tea, in moderate amounts (no more than a teaspoon).