Healthy Junk Food:)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 16, 2023.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just to attract the audience I wrote the title :D

So we all know processed food and junk which are not healthy..

Have you ever wondered if snacks like seedai,murukku..South Indian snacks store brought which is made out of rice flour/besan etc is junk? We get grand sweets where the suppliers do not fry in the same oil again and again and the taste is fresh and long lasting.

It may be high in calories it would you consider it junk.. the ingredients are what we make at home and nothing out of the blue..

American snacks,sugary snacks,breads ,cakes and even kurkure is junk..

So all all snacks sold otc junk?

joylokhi likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Homemade snacks like murukku, mixture, ribbon pakoda, even heavy sweets like badusha are okay in strict moderation IMO. You are using pure ingredients and good oil. This all goes sideways if you are buying them from shops. Even the best establishments will take shortcuts to ensure profitability.
    The problem with most of the packaged snacks is with the heavily processed ingredients they include. The ingredients list should not be the length of a telephone directory.

joylokhi and anika987 like this.
  3. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

junk food where:cheer::cheer::cheer:... i eat more junk food than real meals??? what to do these days there are many many more junk food than healthy food.

healthy junk food means we need to add more nuts i guess and use jaggery or brown sugar instead of sugar.. last week as i was craving for some sweet made peanut chikki with less sugar and with added almonds,cashews came good but color changed because of not so good quality jaggery...:scream::scream::scream:..but still end up eating as it taste good... crunchy from nuts, enough sweet from jaggery..

badushaaa:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: taste very good.. i am drolling already hahahaha will try to make it this week.. see how its good to turn out...:number_one:

anika987 likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Healthy Junk - is a conundrum and therefore naturally @anika987 would get her usual audience read followers + foodie buffs.

Your question had come in the right time . Junks are tasty but nutritious. Junks could be harming the organs of the body. Junks may result in imbalance or uneven secretion of essential juices enzymes hormones testosterone etc. junks result in constipation precipitation flatulence et .
    IMHO,
    Murukku, seedai salted seedai sweet adhirasam boli thenkuzhal are all loved by Lord Krishna and are innocuous munching would agree with any type of stomach! LONG LIVE THESE SOUTH INDIAN DEEP FRIED.
    WISH YOU MORE AUDIENCE HERE & God Bless us with more grand sweets & snacks.

swarnamary and anika987 like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

You were right:blush:It was the title that brought me to this post. However, interesting thoughts! No doubt Grand sweets snack varieties are our all time favourites and surely due to the quality of ingredients used, i doubt there would have ever been any case of adverse effects of the same. My first experience with grand sweets murukku which my father had ordered from them from my wedding back in 1981. Then, we could get to see the maamis spread out their items and preparing sitting on the floor. It has come a long way since then! It is the artificial colours and addition of chemical taste enhancers etc that cause issues in the packaged foods that are sold and to which children are addicted the most!

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.