"Head shave" for kid in Dallas or anywhere in Texas?

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by priyamuthu, Aug 31, 2007.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

hi friends,
    as u all know, v hav the practise of putting mottai for kids after their first b'day. is that posbl here in US. r else where vil u cut the hair for ur kids? do they offer any such services in the DFW temple in irving. any ideas or suggestions wud b appreciated. since it is summer, my kid suffers fm sweat which leads to running nose all bcoz of her hair growth. i hav to do something for that. Thanks in advance.
    Priya

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Re: "MOTTAI" for my kid

Hi,
    If I am right you have a temple in Texas. U can enquire there about putting Mottai for your son. As I am not from US, I am not so sure.

3. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

thanks rajmi for ur reply. i hav to enquire the temple here.

but before that i wud like to know what the ILites in dallas did in these situations. can u gals in Dallas pls help me
    Priya

4. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

hi

if u r particular abt doing it in the temple u can ask in the "htnt "temple dallas ,or go to Pittsburg balaji temple as the place is famous for this .

when i was in Dallas i took my son ( then 11 months ) to " kids cuts " in toys r us shop for his "mottai" n they did it well. even in temples they cut hair in 3 places n ask u to go to a barber shop ( heard frm people ) .

choice is yours[​IMG]

regards
    santasekar

5. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

Hi

Houston Meenakshi temple is famous for Mottai.the priest takes the traditional 3 cuts.the remaining shave is done by the barber shop near the temple(the priest can give u the exact location).They give a good shave using the clipper.They don't use a blade or knife.

I don't think our DFW temple does this.But check with them.

Hope this info helps u.

regards

mtkm

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

re: "Head shave" for kid in Dallas or anywhere in Texas?

Hello Mtkm,

I guess the info you posted would be really helpful for me. I want to put mottai for my 20months old DD. I put her 1st mottai in our native place in India and I was wondering her 2nd mottai if done in a barber shop will not be an auspicious mottai (want to make atleast 3 auspicious mottais - her hair growth is very bad and I believe frequent mottais will help in good hair growth :)

So, do we make any appointment with the priest before-hand for this mottai process? I am in Round Rock (N. of Austin) and travelling to Houston for this is not a problem. Would I get info. in the temple itself about a nearby barber shop where I can shave the rest of her hair after the 3 tradition cuts made by the priest?

Thanks for any additional info. I am planning for this weekend itself.

Malathy

7. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

re: "Head shave" for kid in Dallas or anywhere in Texas?

Hi malathy

Give a call to the houston Meenakshi Temple beforehand.The priest gives the traditional 3 cuts in the temple and remaining mottai , u can get it done at the barber shop which the temple priest frequently recommends.The barber shop is very close by and they know what is traditional Indian mottai .But please note, they use a clipper and give a almost clean mottai. THEY DON"T USE A BLADE AS PER U.S. LAW.

Hope this info helps u.Just don't forget to call the temple to make an appointment for the Mottai procedure with the priest.

Good luck and have a nice trip. Take care.