1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Head circumference

Discussion in 'Infants' started by myangel, Mar 8, 2010.

1. myangel

myangel Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends

Am girl turns 6th month,she is havg slghtly big head,her HC now is 43, 2 month back it was 41.5,baby is vey active,rolling etc....when i was in my native place,our ped told us to monitor her activities,he also said it would be better take spiral brain scan in future,then i came back 2 my motherin laws place(cbe),here pde said baby is very active,no need of scanning now.....if we(me & husband) r more concerned about tat ....he said next month we will go for skull scan.........he said baby is vey active no need us to worry.

Friends i need ur valuable reply...wats is the proper ratio of Head circumference,whether it will create any pro ib future.friends pl suggest good paediatrician in coimbatore(am in vadavalli)

thankz

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

At the 6 th month appt. DS's head circumference was 43.5 cms and he is in the 50th percentile. As per the standards here, DS's head is normal and not considered big at all..

I wonder why your Pead said so!! Did you mean 43 cms?

3. myangel

myangel Bronze IL'ite

Hi sudha

thankyou very much for ur reply,my girls headC now is 43....don't know why our pad said for scanning,actually he said...if the baby is very active nothing wrong in this percentile but after 1 or 2 month we will go for one full scanning............

thakz for ur reply.......after 2 weeks i hav app with my pad,i'll let u know about the status.

thankz
    priya

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Priya, How are the soft spots on the skull? Can you feel them still? If yes, that should mean your baby's head is continuing to grow. More than what the numbers are for the current month, it is more significant to see how much the chidl has been growing from month to month.
    WHO | Head circumference-for-age
    This is the WHO chart for headcircumference amongst breastfed babies. Do plot the numbers on the chart and see how your little one has been progressing. If she seems to go on a steady curve with no dips or spikes, then she is doing good. In your place I won't bother about the scan - it is very traumatic for a child in the first place. Do ask your paed if they are following the WHO charts for breastfed babies (if you are bfing your child) rather than CDC chart. It makes a lot of difference.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  5. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

Priya,

I understand your worries. Hugs. We had a similar issue with my now one year old DD when she was around the same age as your LO. Her headcirumference was at the 95th percentile while her length and weight were at the 75th and 25th percentiles respectively. Needless to say I was very worried. But my pead assured me that as long as she is meeting her developmental milestones and is active there is nothing to worry. To put our worries to rest she did suggest getting an ultrasound or a CTScan of the head. Since my DD's soft spot had not closed...we opted for the ultrasound option. I was not excited about the CT scan because of the potential radiation side-effects. My very curious DD made the whole ultrasound process quite challenging by wanting to use the probe herself! Everything looked normal on the ultrasound. My DD just has a big head! She always did...even when she was in my belly! Also big heads run in the families on both sides.

If your baby is active and your pead thinks that there is nothing to worry...I would not! Also look at yours and your DH's baby pictures. You might find a clue or two there!

Oh...BTW we just had our one year check up for my DD and her head circumference continues to be big. But our pead was quite satisfied with her developmental milestones and said that she would not worry about the head circumference issue.

K