1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

HE laundary detergent

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by smart_soul, May 27, 2011.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

We have a front load washer and dryer. Recently I switched to Kirkland brand HE laundary detergent (Free and clear - since I thought that may help with my daughters allergies - I'm yet to see any change though) and see that the white loads come out with half the dirt intact on them, inspite of using some liquid bleach along with the detergent and running the load through a soak cycle.:spin

Has anyone experienced the same with this particular brand?

Which detergent do you use and whats your review on that?

Thanks!!

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have to be careful of detergent also but in my case it is the cat who has allergies. I use the natural detergents and I have had good success with Sun and Earth liquid. I would also suggest that you use some oxy powder in your loads. It is cheapest at the Dollar stores...don't bother getting OxyClean which is too expensive.

3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Tina for your input.

Will certainly try the Sun and earth brand and some Oxy as well. I've tried oxyclean as some stain remover. And I felt it was quite strong. Is oxy as strong as Oxyclean? The reason I'm asking this is because someof the clothes in the white loads have small prints/stripes in other colors right? Would that fade off?

I also read that Tide HE Free and Clear is good. So thats also on my list to try out.

The first time the white load came out with dirt intact, I thought that I had forgotten to put the detergent in a hurry.. LOL. But not this time though...
    Planning to return the Kirkland brand at Costco. Hoping they take it back.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Oxy powder is the same as OxyClean.... what it is is hydrogen peroxide powder. It breaks down into hydorgen and water so its really safe. Just buy the cheap one...its all the same.

I am wondering though: are you separating your types of clothes or just mixing them all together? My sorting is this: sheets and towels together, whites only, medium colors together, reds if you have reds completely separate, and then the dark colors including jeans. For colors and darks I put a color absorbing cloth in the load and that works wonders. Sometimes what looks like dirt is actually color dispersed into a load.