1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

HE - Episode 3

Discussion in 'HE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Nov 24, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,
    That was a great analysis. You might have noticed the different way in which I divided the episode into several parts. IL does not allow more than 1000 words in a post. So I normally divide my episodes into parts of about 1000 words each. That way we should have only 3 parts in this episode.

But while posting HE 3, I thought like a movie director and a screen play writer. I made every scene into a part. Tomorrow if somebody wants to make HE into a movie, that will be very helpful. But I am sure this story cannot be made into a movie.

I am using a story technique which is the exclusive privilege of a writer when his medium is just words. You will come to know about this towards the end of the serial.

Honestly Aruna, every man and for that every woman, however high may be his or her position is always like a child looking to its mother for approval, recognition and appreciation. I used this basic psychological truth to show Madhavan's feelings.

I always say that hope to enjoy is better than hope enjoyed. You feel far better on Friday looking forward to a nice weekend, than on Saturday or Sunday, where the week-end is actually on. Even a hungry man if given an apples, looks at it for a while, feels the fruit and lets his mouth salivate for a while, before taking the first bite. Let's mimick him in this. Of course HE 4 is just 142 hours away.

Thanks once again, Aruna for the brilliant scene by scene analysis. Posts like this help me to look deeper into my writing and may be one day I may even start writing good stories.

Love,

2. varalotti

Hi k,
    should I call you k or bunty?
    In fact when I first started writing in IL I wrote only short stories. It was only much later that I came up with the idea of a serial. It is the waiting that adds charm to the story.
    A man and a woman are in love. If they are going to be together continuously, then there is not much of spice in that love. They have to be away for a while. And while remaining parted, they think of their earlier meeting, they dream of their future meeting. The lover constantly thinks of her beloved. This adds an extra dimension of charm to the relationship.
    That's why we say that while presence strengthens love, absence sharpens it.
    In a serial you have all the ingredients of a good love-relationship. There's the presence, the absence, the waiting, the thinking and the dreaming.

CTC concept has already come to India in a big way. It has been there for the past 10, 15 years. I was running a HR consultancy from 2003-2005. We recruited some CEOs and some GMs. All the negotiations were done only on the basis of CTC. It is another complex exercise to convert CTC into actual salary and perks. In fact CTC concept is not there in the US. There it is called compensation. They don't add up the benefits as we do here.

I loved to have a training in US GAAPs. But I did not have the opportunity. I was trained in Pension Funds Administration.
    In fact once you are thorough with Indian GAAP, US GAAP is pretty easy to understand. You need not have any training in that.
    See, you have learnt to drive in India, with all the congestion, heywire traffice and absolute chaos. Then driving in the US is just a cake-walk, provided you just learn to change from the left to right.

Keep your fingers crossed, k, for just another 142 hours. HE 4 will be on the screen, scene by scene.

luv,

3. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

Hi sridhar,
    I am glad you liked my detailed remark. I was worried if i had made it a habit to give lengthy responses(to any thread). When i sit to type with nothing in my mind, i tend to get carried away by my scatter-brain! But i make sure my words convey the exact emotion.

West side! they are one horrible place i tell you! They have sales girls swarming all over the customer to woo them into trying dresses and tempting them to buy them too. But a pity they don't intend to operate more than one counter to complete the process.

Try to go to Life Style or Globus the next time you visit chennai. Nice shopping ground for shopping-sprees. So that you dont have to dissappoint Indu by leaving behind the purchases. I pull my husband there whenever i get a chance. Mostly i do only window shopping.
    I only wish i could let my cousin's family see things through my eyes. But unfortunately i cannot!

4. varalotti

Relax Padma. I love long responses. I read them again and again. And they do help me in configuring the story in the future episodes.

In one way the Westside sales girl did a big help to me. You know I saved the money.... ha ha ha.

I shall remember to take Indhu and Preethi to Globus or Lifestyle next time we visit Chennai.
    Thanks for the tips.
    regards,

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

So we are back with Madhavan and Priya.....I enjoyed reading this episode just as much as I did the others. You are painting a vivid picture of the corporate world of today. Madhavan seems too nice a person and that makes me slightly wonder as to how he climbed those cut throat steps so rapidly...! Well, hard work does pay off I guess. As for Priya, she is all of today's ambitious working woman and with the way her personal life has turned out, she can be more than involved in her job.
    O oh......Joining Madhavan to work with him...I think that was a mistake in the first place. Many couples, even married ones, absolutely avoid working with each other as it might give rise to ego problems and other complications. Generally, it is better for couples to keep their work lives separate from their home lives. So, I could already sense the trouble brewing.
    And....we come to the much debated 'sharing of the room' by opposite genders!!! And in this case, they are already romantically inclined. It is anybody's guess what can come out of that bit...!!!!!
    All in all, I get the feeling that although we are into the second episode of your time 1 phase, you are still setting the stage for the real story to unfold. And I am waiting with much anticipation :)
    I need not repeat again that I like your writing style. The story sails forth smoothly and the descriptions, phrases used and the way sequences follow is all commendable and the improvement is very noticeable!
    Great going Sridhar, please tell the week to roll by faaast...

L, Kamla

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sridhar,

Read the episode yesterday, but was busy could not reply immediately..so a little pondering....

...looks like the ad world is going to be under the scanner...and what you have conveyed through the speech is really true.....and good...:clap.

Though i have worked only for a few years, know how the couch,works in the corporate world also...and also about how some are tempted and go ahead....shakehead.

The way you have potrayed Priya, I doubt the conclusions you are putting into the readers mind....Working together, is a great experience, i can vouch for that....with all the arguments, clashes, everything..:tongue.

Waiting for the sharp turns that are on the next bends...

way to keep your readers counting seconds, and also becoming breathless, being late........

P.S.Westside,shoppers stop we have been given the best customer support and billing...for the past 3 years i am a regular at west side and shoppers stop at harrington...so was surprised at yours and padma's experiences....BTW, i love the fabindia, customer service at spencer's plaza..the lady is very cordial and all the other staffs also....

7. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti sir, Good going. The story is taking a good turn. Some places give the feeling of reading M & Bs and Ramani chandran's in Tamil. But sir why don't u give us some thing different. Getting the same room in the hotel and hero objecting to this and finally accepting and staying in the same room etc. has been repeated and read in many stories. I feel that u r going to give something different. Let me see.

8. varalotti

Dear Kamla,

A big thanks. More than the compliment, that I write well, I love the compliment, that I have improved over time. Only two persons have paid such compliments. One is you and the other is Chithra. Both of you know me from The Haunted House and the B&B days. So when Chitra wrote that I have improved since B&B, I was really thrilled. And now you. Thanks and thanks and thanks.

Spouses working together could be a great boon or the worst possible curse. Depends on who the spouses are. Whether it will be a boon or curse for Madhavan and Priya, we have to wait and see. I know spouses working in the same place having a great marriage. But as you said, that is taking a great risk and it works only with one of the couples.

But.. why... I am going ahead with the story now... Madhavan and Priya are just colleagues. Period.

About sharing the same room I have written enough stories on that. And please read my response to Sujathae on the same subject.

For some stories it takes a lot of time to set the stage; and the story goes off in a jiffy. My surgeon friend used to tell me about the appendectomy operations he did. He used to tell me that it would take hours to prepare for the surgery. The theatre consumables, the anaesthetist and all. And the surgery would be over in a few minutes. I am just praying God that it should not happen to HE.

No, Kamla, the week should not roll by very fast. For then I will not be ready with the next episode. This time I am writing every episode afresh. Even for SHE I was two episodes ahead. But HE I want him to be fresh every week. Is he not facing some 12000 plus beautiful ladies every week?

Thanks once again,
    Love,

9. varalotti

hi shanti,
    Ad world now has the greatest creative power in the industry. Those people are the best experts on communication. So it is all the more important that they communicate the right message and are always bound by values. As I told earlier that was the speech I wrote for myself. If at all the Ad Agencies call me, I would rather dwell on the values and their responsibility towards the community.

I have also known about the couch-power in the corporate world. I have seen some women losing themselves for some material benefits and career gains. Some of them do not give a damn about that. But those who are brought in the traditional sense of values could never forgive themselves for what they did. The world goes on.

Priya's character is a challenge for me. I am moulding her on the lines of the present day corporate woman. Though the serial is about HE, SHE also has an equal place, if not a more prominent one. But we are going to see all those things in the next few weeks.

Stay tuned, Shanvy. And your DH Veda Vyasar has promised to read HE 2 and HE 3 and give his views. I am surprised why he has not come in so far. I think HE episodes are not as good as my snippet Then and Now, where I had talked about the movies and theatres.

May be you got best service from Westside because of "muga rasi" or because you buy in bulk. But the kind of polite, silent insolence from the staff - it was unbearable. Even if they had given that piece free of cost, I would have refused. Yes, we did get good service in fabindia. But my daughter saw some of their prices and told me that they are overpriced by more than 20%.

Thanks once again,
    regards,

10. varalotti

Dear Sujatha,

This was what I was waiting for. Hero and heroine staying in the same room, has been my pet subject. Not now, but ever since I started writing stories. My story in Kumudam "Ore Araiyil" is about that. Then I changed the ending slightly and made into an English Story entitled The Opportunity, which was published by Alive. It was a very bold attempt. There was another story about a beautiful woman and a handsome man going in a coupe in train. And again another story published in IL as a contest. I had asked ILites to write the climax for the story.

There are two ways of looking at it, Sujatha. Let's take cooking. One way of novelty is to try new dishes; and the other way is to take a standard recipe and make some changes. For example on the other day CV prepared Ragi pancake, which was altogether a new dish (at least for me). That's the first type.
    In Atlanta my hostess prepared "Vendaikkai paruppusili." Paruppusili is a standard dish. It is either beans or vazahipoo or kuda milakai. Vendaikkai paruppusili is some thing I haven't heard of. It was delicious too.

In this hero-heroine staying in the same room, you want me to make a ragi pancake. But I am planning for a vendakkai paruppusili.

Just wait for some time to find out the implications of this statement.

Thanks, Sujatha for the detailed comments.

Love,