Having baby after age of 30 cause any problem?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by nehausa, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Untrue !! Not that every kid born to a 30 + old woman have birth defects. That is indeed nonsense. The uterus age for a 35 + woman does start to age down which means, they come with certain complications. That is all. Not that they wil necessarily develop birth defects. Also, logically, if you have the first baby after 35 and then give a break between the first and second.. you will finally drain down by the time you have the scond.

It a'int about the genes for Indians, it is all about the medical limitations available in India. Kids wth Autism etc dont really have the support group and facilities that they are meant to have, other than the metros. India is still developing and hence the delay in identifying what can be affordable and not.

It a'int true that you just get married as early as possible just so that you make a baby before you 30 and then live with family stress ! You rather pick the right person, you want to live with and make a baby when the both of you are ready, instead of having to meet indifferences day in and day out !

Moreover, it a'int true even that only woman of 30+ years of age give birth to babies with birth defects.. Even women lesser than that age, can have them. Again, however healthier you are, and regardles of Timbaktu or Bangalore you are from, if your genes are a chaos, you tend to face stuff.
    None of us have timers set in inside, that we know for sure we going to produce babies, from the time TTC begins !

Keep cool and take to positivity ! :thumbsup

2. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

That is true that no research is conclusive, however I am a genetics researcher and I do know the older the mother is the higher the chances of complications to both mother and child. IMO if you are worried you can go to a genetic counselor before you conceive and get a genetic profile done...

3. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

I agree about the potential complications for older mothers and genetic counseling, but a child with a relatively older mother is probably going to have a relatively older father as well. Does that affect outcomes?

Just curious since we were discussing maternal age-potential risks, and I never hear anything about the father's age.

4. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Desiprincess's link: Age of mother affects child's autism risk: study | Reuters
    talks about it.

an excerpt from the link that might interest you:
    "being an older father -- 40 or older -- only contributes significantly to autism risk when the mother is under 30."

And I totally agree with Dr.Preethi especially on this line:
    You rather pick the right person, you want to live with and make a baby when the both of you are ready, instead of having to meet indifferences day in and day out !

A simple capability to produce a healthy baby is not enough to ensure the emotional health of that baby in the long run. Father and Mother should both be ready and committed to provide a stable loving home to the baby. It is their darn responsibility. So people should not let this fear of the biological clock influence their readiness irrationally.

5. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

thanks all of you,,,lovely replies so true and i enjoyed reading them too..(i was scared my self when someone told me this whole thing....

my conclusion is have kids when your heart says,,,be positive always..

thanks again...

6. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

You got it, girl! :thumbsup
    And have kids when BOTH your heart says. :)

7. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

Having kids after 35 increases the chances of baby with birth defect & the pregnancy is also deemed High Risk..

However it is also true that a woman's fertility reaches its PEAK at age 25 and slowly goes down every year after that & chances of conceiving every cycle are less

As you can see from the chart below, women are most fertile between the ages of 20 and 24. As women grow older the likelihood of getting pregnant falls steeply while the likelihood of infertility rises sharply. Men can remain fertile for much longer but male fertility still declines with age, albeit less dramatically.

Chart: Pregnancy rates over the course of one year

Both of the line graphs are for women who do not have any specific fertility problems.

[​IMG]

How long will it take to conceive?

According to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, "At 35 you're half as fertile as when you were at 25; at 40 you're half as fertile as when you were 35". This means that it can suddenly take much longer to get pregnant when you hit your late thirties or early forties and you may have problems conceiving at all.