1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Having a sibling is overrated?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Vennella, May 9, 2015.

1. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

I always thought having a sibling is the best blessing in life. You have someone from your own family, who knows you innately, who shares the wonderful memories of childhood with you!

Growing up, having a sibling is always having a friend, confidant, wing-man, partner in crime, what not!!
    gossiping, playing, fighting, sharing, loving.....

But, once everybody is an adult, everything changes. Or atleast that is my view. That, or I am getting cynical ;)

What I have seen is bitter fights about property, ego hassles, comparisons, competitions, jealousy!

My favorite is however the accusations that "mom dad always favored you"!!

And come to think of it, at this stage of life, there is no sharing, confiding, loving. Only misunderstandings.

So, i wanted to hear from you all. What are your experiences with siblings? Positive/negative? Is having a sibling really overrated?

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I do love my brother and am very protective of him. Yet, I'm not sure we can have 12 hours go by without getting on each others' nerves, while in person. We haven't had disputes - touchwood. I am the sort who is happy to let go, as he is. Luckily for us, both our spouses are not fussed about property or whatever that isn't self-earned.

Now that I have a child, I'm getting the pressure on for another from all quarters because "my child must have a sibling." I can't see why. My brother and I live on different continents and have been that way for well over a decade. While we have lovely memories, the people who are my solid support here are my friends. They cover my back and they help me through just about anything life throws at me from impromptu childcare to family holidays to a great night out.

My sibling is great and all; so are my husband's various siblings - each one is a gem. Yet, I do personally think having a sibling is a bit overrated.

14 people like this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Disagree.

Growing up the siblings I fought the most are the ones I am closest to now. yeah we are on dif continents, speak infrequently and meet once every few years but the bond and connection is still there.

for my kids I wanted them to have a sibling. I agree it is a lot more work for the mom but seeing what I had I wanted the same for them. And one of the things I did when they were still really little was to make them play together. On purpose, I didnt sign them up for any activities for a couple of summers in elementary so they were home for the 2-3 months and kind of forced to play together and deal with each other. It was tough I admit-- I had to daily intervene in fights and quarrels, sometimes I really wondered what I got myself into, sometimes regretted also but it paid off. They slowly learnt to play together and deal with each other and became friends, now they are grown up but they still talk and communicate and depend on each other. Ironically those 2 hellish (for me!) summers have some of their best memories as sibs for them!

But, I agree it is a maatter of personality and luck. IF the personalities of the siblings are total opposites and do not get along at all then having a sibling can seem overrated.

1 person likes this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Once we get married, we will have our own life , where siblings have less priority in our life . But while growing , almost 20 years, we have been very close with siblings, we did everything together, that was very important when we were kids. May be we may have differences now, but I believe in tough times we can count on them. Whether overrated or not , let us hear it from single child posters too.

me being youngest of all, I got guidance from my sis and bro on different areas, be it Taste of music, hobbies, studies. For me most of personality shaping was influenced by them.

3 people like this.
  5. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

I agree with you. That is exactly what I feel.

Growing up, I felt siblings added a lot to personality development, making and sharing of memories

but these days i just get disheartened to see there is no love lost in some cases

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

A relationship is just that - a relationship. It is neither good or bad. What really defines the quality of that relationship is the people in it and their equations with each other. Of course, these can also vary over time.

Have seen siblings who could not do without each other. Have seen them calling out to their siblings even when they lost their minds. Have seen others who don't even remember each other or don't want to have anything to do with each other.

Is the relationship over-rated? I really don't know. thinkingsmiley

5 people like this.
  7. MyselfandI

MyselfandI Silver IL'ite

It primarily depends on the amount of understanding between them, when there is no good understanding even a third person can initiate conflicts , it s always good to avoid giving room to such things

1 person likes this.
  8. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

We are three sisters, now married with grown up kids, our childhood was really great with our share of jealousy, disagreements but yet we enjoyed each others company, I being the middle one was mostly bullied by my older one but me and my younger Sis shared a really great relationship.
    But once we were married and settled in different States,our relationship grew stronger and greater over the years, my older Sis became our friend,philosopher and guide, I shared every bit of my marital problem with her and she gave me great advices and today if my life is peaceful then I owe lot to my Sister. Regarding financial disputes touch wood all three are financially okay, my father has an own house and some money which he earns interest for his livelihood, apart from that he has invested on a couple of sites for our future but till now none of us have discussed about it, we three share a great relationship and love each other's company even now, what I feel is our relationship has grown stronger over the years though we dont see each other often but we are closely in touch almost everyday, thanks to our modern technology.

On the contrary I have only one daughter and yet I don't regret that I din't give her a sibling, she never felt she was lonely, she to is in constant touch with her cousins and has lots of friends.

But OP, in my opinion there is difference in sibling relationship if they are a brother and sister or two brothers, because once a brother is married his priority changes, his immediate family is his first concern and same is the case between brothers and also their relationship depends greatly on how their spouses get along, but where as this is not the case between sisters even if their husbands don't share any great relationship the sisters will always remain sisters.
    As long as sharing of property/money doesn't come into picture any sibling relationship would be fine and peaceful.

6 people like this.
  9. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Dear blessed,

Can you believe I thought about you while making this post? ;-)

I have read your posts and know of your beautiful relationship with your sisters. I am quite envious of it, really :)

What you say is quite true, a relationship between sisters is very different from other sibling relations.

What you can share with your sister is just beautiful and cherished. But sometimes, even this relation can get toxic. You mentioned how grateful you are for the guidance and advice provided to you by your elder sister. That is quite commendable and to your credit as well as your sister's that advice is given and taken in the right spirit. It might not happen in all cases.

I can share my best friend's experience in this matter. She is an elder sister who's been happily married for a few years now. She has a younger sister who was in a long term relationship and then broke up with the guy for whatever reason. Then along came another guy, who is also her close friend. He proposed and she said yes. This guy was quite liked by my friend and her parents as well. Everybody was quite happy. But for some reason, her sister broke up with that guy. Only reason she would give is she has no feelings for him. Though my friend was quite disappointed, she supported her sister as that is what you are supposed to do.

Then the sister found another guy at work. Now, this guy looked really sketchy. My friend did not like him, didn't think he was serious about her sister, nor did she like how he treated her. She explained this to her sister and made her dislike quite clear. But her sister didn't heed to her advice and stuck to the guy and even fought with her sister about this and stopped talking. Finally, as expected, this saga went on for a few years, and finally when everybody was talking about wedding preparations that guy broke up with her. She found out he's been two-timing her all this while.

Then she goes through recovery period, again falling back on her sister's support. Meanwhile parents are getting worried sick about her marriage. Finally through some family friends known to the sister she got a match. Somehow and for some strange reason, she does not mention this to her elder sister. She meets the guy, decides she can get married to him and only in the end tells her sister and parents.

My friend was quite stunned that she was not included in the whole process. Of course, she was happy for her sister finding a good guy but couldn't quite understand why the secrecy. She has only been supportive to say the least.

I felt quite bad hearing this story, and it set me thinking. Was this relationship quite overrated? Sometimes it just happens, that one person is just always giving and the other taking or even demanding. I guess it depends on people's personalities and also the circumstances. Even good people might change when subjected to severe hardships in life.

3 people like this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Having a sibling is one the sweetest things in my life. We have been each others support system for as long as I remember. Diff continents.. ...property ...marriage ...what our spouses think or dont think...nothing matters.
    I would slightly differ..what matters most are the people involved...like any other relationship.
    I have longed for a sister..just as I have longed for a daughter..but then u make do with that u have..and realise in the end ..gender doesn't matter..never really did...its what u make of it.
    DHs brother is an amazing person ... ..brothers dont talk as much as I would like them to..or share..but the bond is just as strong. They do derive a quiet strength from each other. I always knew I wanted more than one .....Dh was ok either way...but I wanted to give my boys a chance to experience what I did. It may not be so..but atleast I would have tried.

7 people like this.