Have some doubts - travel from India to USA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by khushipoise, Apr 1, 2010.

1. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Hi
    my mom is travelling next week from India to USA first time - I had few doubts in mind - need your suggestions

What is the minimum Amt of dollars need to be carried while travelling ?
    What's the normal service charge at a bank in India? Or is there some better place to get exchange?
    What if we need some dollars at the airport? Is the service charge too much at the airport? What abt travellers cheques? Are thy better than cash ?

Also what the best way to stay connected During travel , in the flight ?- I mean phone cards - should she activate international roaming ?or is there some good callling card for the same ?

Pls advice - really appreciate it
    thanks

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

I have traveled with as little as $20, but I also had my credit card if reqd. I would say $100 is a safe bet.

Service charge for what?

And traveler's cheques for money to spend in transit or while in the US?

The one time I did make a call in transit, I just used dollars at a phone booth. I have also spent USD to make various purchases like water, book, food etc. USD works in all intl airports at least in Europe.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

She should do any money changing in India before she leaves...changing rupees in USA does not give a good exchange rate. One security method for carrying cash is to put in a security wallet (usually cloth ones) that hangs around the waist and if she is wearing salwar she can drop it down one leg. My prepay Airtel phone in India automatically roams in USA and an sms is cheaper than a call. She can also use a credit card for any calling at airports on the way.

I think its doubtful she is going to have any trouble on the way. On domestic pickups sometimes its a bit hard finding your party but for international they are usually all coming out the same door from customs so its a lot easier to find them.

4. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

hi tashidek and confused -

thanks for your responses -
    confused- i was talking abt travellers cheques in general - i meant rather than carrying cash - not to spend in USA as such , as u mentioned u can use US dollars to call from layover airports - does it turn out to be cheaper than indian mobile international roaming charges? she has a layover in frankfurt germany - so USD should work there right?

service charge of banks to exchange rupees to dollars - is what i meant

thanks
    khushi.