Hats off to the Tatas for 'Nano'

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Sumathy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Friends,

Did you look at the 'Nano' that was launched yesterday? Mr Ratan Tata has delivered what most people in the industry wrote off as 'impossible'. This is yet another example of the Tatas' futuristic thinking and upholding 'Indian' spirit in the global arena.
    Not only is the car very competitively priced, it meets safety requirements and is stylishly designed.

Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors

Proud moment for Indian automobile industry!

Cheers,

Sumathy

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sumathy,
    Both my hubby and myself being ex-employees of TATA MOTORS, we are proud of Tata's achievement. Very glad to know tht it is the cheapest car in the world market and adhering to all safety requirerments and also with fuel efficiency! Thank you for bringing it to the notice of Ilites. Yesterday we watched the launching ceremony.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi,

Me and my kids were really curious for quite some time, so we were glued to the news channels

Hats of to the TATA's..for bringing out nano, their promise adhering to all norms....and without compromising on style....

Three cheers to the family of tata's .:hatsoff

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Tata's Nano is not a car for long drive. Its worth of touring the city itself. Its engine which is less than 650c.c. cannot push the car very far. Its speed is 72kmph which is very less. The Rs. one lakh car has no power steering, auto locks and air-condition. In a city like Mumbai we cannot think of a car without AC. The cost is not Rs. 1 lakh it comes up to 1.35 lakhs including the insurance and taxes. It is called the standard model. Do not forget it runs on petrol and not LPG or Diesel which is much cheaper fuel than petrol. Though Tata's say it will give a mileage of 20 kms per hour, consumers do not foresee anything more than 17kmph. Its good for teens to take to college and for office goers who have nearby offices. Its good for smaller cities. The engine is at the rear and the store capacity is in the front. The car claims to have 22% better seating capacity than Maruti 800. Well, people will look for the technical details too. According to most of the car owners in Mumbai, the car is not worth for long drive. It cannot take up speed and hence difficult to take it on highway. On weekends if you need to drive down to your favourite picnic spot, you need to look for another car, especially if you have to climb ghats.

The deluxe model of Tata Nano which will have better version will not cost anything less than 2 lakhs. It will have power steering, AC.

Maruti Swift the Diesel version is still the best car on the small segment car and is powered with the best technicalities. Kudus to Maruti for discovering Swift.

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Malspie,

You are correct about all the technical details. Being a car lover myself, I am not sure whether I will like the driving experience in Nano. Infact, most seasoned car lovers may not. And I regard Maruti very highly having driven a maruthi 800 for around 8 years. And I also have reservations about other Tata cars like Indica.

BUT, i think all that is not the point here. Nano is a car for the people who are currently driving two wheelers as Mr Ratan Tata mentioned. He has delivered a mode of transport with four wheels and a roof, to seat 4 adults, under Rs. 1.5 lakhs. And that is a revolution in itself. Not to mention the fact that the car meets all safety requirements and Euro compliant. Contrast this with the fact that a Japan based MUV manufacturer does not give ABS at all in cars which are priced about 10 lakhs. As for myself, I loved the look of Nano too (though I am curious to see how short drivers will manage in the steering!). The Tata team has broken lot of tradition here, especially, the space under the front bonnett is purely 'out of the box' thinking ! As for diesel, all Indian car manufacturers have a long way to go with the technology.

I feel this is a momentous occasion as an Indian automobile manufacturer has taken as challenge and delivered something which most other car companies thought impossible. And they did this without compromising on safety elements and environmental friendliness (Nano would be as polluting as Maruti or any other equivalent car, I guess.) And this why, I want to cheer Mr Ratan Tata and his team.

Dear Malspie, you have to forgive me if I come across as an unabashed fan of the Tatas - it runs in the family. We admire the Tatas for all their contribution to our nations in various fields. I have been at the Indian Institute of Science (called as Tata institute popularly), bangalore while my husband's first job was at the Tata steel plant at Jamshedpur. This apart, I still strongly feel about cheering the 'Nano:-D.

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

itz a very cute car,iam planning to buy one:queen(i said iam planning,but my hubby have to agree:tongue)
    :hatsoff to Tata.

7. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Its a very stylish car, given the limited budget, and is worthy of looking at. Its a sure bet as replacement for 2 wheelers, better to sit inside a covered roof than sweat it out in the traffic and the sun !

It may not have all the sophisticated features of other cards, but as Ratan Tata said, that was not the intention in the first place. We should be proud of the Tata's for their sincerity towards their vision !

8. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

This car is for middle class people and for small towns, i also liked the model. I know nano has no power steering and u can't fit ac also but what all u expect in Rs. 1 Lac?

Infact I am from Jamshedpur n my parents were in Tata Steel for more that 36 years so obviously i will also cheer for Nano.

9. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Do you think India needs more cars or a better infrastructure!

Do you think we need to burn more fossil fuels or look for alternatives!

The Tatas are currently into real estate, cutting down large areas of forest land in Goa and putting up buildings that they will sell for a lot of money, ignoring the environment!