1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hate Begets Hate

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I must be missing some part of the context. Far as I have read, it was Aamir Khan who spoke about feeling alarmed by the intolerance or growing intolerance. SRK has not made any similar comments.
    1) There is a possibility (not proved yet) that Aryan Khan/ SRK were targeted due to SRK being a Muslim celebrity.
    2) Majority of Indians and hence the majority of SRK's fans are Hindus.

How are 1 and 2 related? Because his fan base is majority Hindu, it is OK if he is targeted due to his religion? Not saying that he is being targeted. Just asking if fans being mostly Hindu means it is OK to target him? That's what your UPPERCASE seems to imply.

Again, I don't get the point. Fans love to crowd outside the homes of film stars. Amitabh Bachchan has a decades old tradition of greeting the public outside Jalsa on Sunday's. The average fan, especially the younger or the poorer ones, will do anything to catch a glimpse of their star. Fans (majority Hindu) want to see SRK after his son has come home. They want to show their support and love for SRK in his time of challenge. Isn't that all there is to it?

Agathinai, Mistt and Laks09 like this.
  2. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

You have misunderstood.
    I haven't said anywhere that SRK has given antinational comments
    Social media is full of 2 kinds of comments.
    1 SRK didn't parent his son well. He didn't teach him good values. These are in very bad taste especially when the family is going through a bad phase.

2 his son is being targeted coz of his religion, which again is not proved.
    Other boys also were caught along with Aryan and weren't granted bail.

3. Rihana

Like Gauri said in this post in another thread:
    I unfortunately have some experience with bail plea/petitions. If a politician, celebrity or local dada gets involved, bail plea is rejected for the flimsiest reasons. For whatever reason, Aryan Khan and his pals were kept in prison beyond what is the norm in such cases. Was it SRK's star status, religion or some other factors, we might never know.

There will naturally be speculation around the reason Aryan Khan was treated differently. One of the reasons that will be floated is religion.

Similarly, when a star kid makes a small mistake like going to a party where drugs were used or available, the consequences can be more severe than if a regular kid ends up doing that. It is routine for parents to be blamed when kids do wrong and for parents to be given credit when kid gets into Stanford/MIT.

Agathinai, Mistt and Laks09 like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can I ask why we treat individuals in minority groups as representative of that entire group instead of as just that person? So a few colleagues of your husband and one of your colleagues exhibit behaviors that you disapprove of (I find most of these benign or at least understandable, but that is a different point). Why are they held up as representatives of their entire cultural group? When a Hindu person does something wrong, he or she is viewed as a person, responsible for their behavior alone. When a Muslim man or woman does something questionable why do we extrapolate their behavior to all Indian Muslims or the whole of Islam? One rapist Hindu doesn't make us say all Hindu men are rapists, then why is one anti-national muslim = all muslims are traitors/anti-national? There are plenty of examples of anti-national Hindus too.

There are 172 million Muslims in India. Are they all accountable for your colleague's taste in TV serials or worse, biryanis? I'd argue that the fact that India is a safe, progressive nation (for now) shows that a majority of our minorities are dutiful, law-abiding citizens. Otherwise we'd be in a state of perpetual civil war like Israel and Palestine.

Why is watching Pakistani TV serials wrong? I haven't seen the current ones but back in the day they were miles better than the stuff on Indian TV. Back in the 80s-90s my parents used to bring video cassettes of Pakistani serials to watch at home. I highly highly recommend Dhoop-Kinarey and Tanhaiyaan. I saw Dhoop Kinarey when I was 9 or 10. I wanted to be Dr Zoya Ali Khan so badly! If you like love stories give it a try. You might find yourself agreeing with your colleague. : )

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    SunPa, Kohvachn, Agathinai and 5 others like this.
  5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

These are not considered Indians by some 'holier than though Indians'. Virat Kohli got rape threats for his 7 months old daughter because he tried to support Mohmad Shami, the baller in Indian Team. By all account, they are those 'holier than though Indians, who else?
    Shame.

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

You have hit the right button. It is sad that educated people paint whole community for the misdeeds of one person or group of persons.

7. HariLakhera

Absolutely. BTW my group name is HariLakhera.:flushed: Long live humanity.

8. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

The mohamad shami trolling came from Pakistani social media users.

9. Rihana

None of that trolling was by Indian social media users?

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Other boy and girl who were arrested were: Arbaaz Merchant and Munmum Dhamecha. Of the three only Arbaaz was found in possession of 2.5 grams of cannabis. As per the NDPS act small quantity of cannabis (charas) is defined as 100gms. Possession of a small quantity is punishable by 6 months in prison or Rs 10,000 fine. Aryan and Munmum did not possess any drugs, nor were any drugs found in their system. Arbaaz possessed 2.5 gms which is 2.5% of the legally defined 'small' quantity. For such a minor offense, if indeed it was an offense, was it right to a) keep them in jail for multiple weeks b) deny bail? Isn't it judicial overreach? They are trying to build an international drug conspiracy using 2.5 gms of weed? You can find 10 times that quantity in the hostels of the IITs. Trust me I was there. As a resident of the state of California I can walk around with 28 gms of weed in my pocket legally. Weed/charas/ganja has been a part of mystic Hinduism for millennia. We worship a god whose followers get high on ganja as a form of worship. Now the country grows qualms over a couple of Muslim kids smoking weed?

3000 kgs of heroin was seized at a port in Gujarat. Where is the outrage? Where are the arrests? These drugs fund the Taliban in Afghanistan, and anti-Indian terror activities in Pakistan. Why is the NCB busy arresting weed smoking kids from parties while hard drugs flow freely into our ports?

Sources:
    https://dor.gov.in/narcoticdrugspsychotropic/punishment-offences
    http://www.cbn.nic.in/html/qtynotif.PDF
    Money Laundering Probe Into Seizure Of 3,000 Kg Heroin At Gujarat Port

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    SunPa, Agathinai, Rihana and 3 others like this.