1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has the essence of marriage lost in today's scenario?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sumee, Nov 14, 2013.

1. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

I know it is a little controversial topic but debatable and there is a reason behind my posting this thread. And I am posting MY thoughts .

Recently I was at a gift shop at a loss to know what to buy for my friend's daughter who was getting married............the THIRD TIME in a span of 4 years. My friend was naturally upset,but she could not do anything except accept the situation. I remember attending the first marriage at Park Sheraton .It was an arranged marriage.This marriage lasted 1 year.The second lasted 8 months and now third.
    I picked up my gift,went to a coffee shop and sat down.Began to think.WHY?Where has the very essence,the very meaning of wedding vows:the saat pheres gone? How has the thread binding two people become so fragile?thinkingsmiley . Has the word marriage become extinct giving way to the new word:living together?
    We were taught to believe a marriage between two people meant sharing,understanding,compromise, not leave each other and face any situation in life together.
    Today the first flush of romance may have mellowed down in many of us,we may be barely tolerant with each other,may take each other for granted, at times may feel stifled in a relationship which has not much of essence in it,yet we never let the wedding vows die.In times of crisis we support each other and live a life of companionship.Can I expect that in today's weddings?
    Where is the tolerance in today's relationship.Today there are more divorce cases pending in the family court.For flimsy excuses the couple seek separation:rant
    Why the change?...... Have the present generation become selfish that they can't see beyond I,ME,MYSELF syndrome.Parents spend lakhs to give their children a happy married life.Once it was forever...Today does it come with an expiry date:-(
    I was in a dilemma whether I should post this thread but then decided to share my thoughts with you as you are my friends. Care to give your point of view?:)

4 people like this.

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

pls share the flimsy excuses.

4 people like this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes, please do. I'd very much like to hear the flimsy excuses'.

4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Same here.

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Seems to me it is not divorce that is the problem, but family pressure to re-marry IMMEDIATELY after divorce that may leave some confused and emotionally fragile people lurching from one disastrous marriage into another.

Perhaps it's time we re-examined the concept of marriage (especially arranged marriage in the above scenario). Marriage should not be about simply matching up and putting up with someone for a lifetime. Without genuine love, mutual respect, common goals and values, and a willingness from BOTH parties to do what it takes to make a happy life together, any relationship is a sham.

I'd rather be a divorcée than a desperately, unhappily married woman.

9 people like this.
  6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I predict many more marriages will succeed the day "lakhs" are spent on more important things, like down payment on first house, than on dowry or extravagant weddings. A wedding leaves us with memories, some expensive outfits, and a video/photo album. A more substantial investment would and should be in something that gives the new couple tangible benefits for years to come.

Also, it would be nice if kids started paying for their own weddings, which might leave parents with more money for their living expenses and retirement, which might take the heat off the kids some (eg. potential reduction in MIL/DIL drama and mama's boy syndrome, since parents are not relying totally on kids to provide for them).

9 people like this.
  7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I would say the concept of what is a good marriage and the level of tolerance has definitely changed. I wouldn't, say any girl will break her marriage for flimsy reasons - but, where earlier a marriage was considered for life, in recent times girls feel it is better to start afresh if they could get out of an abusive relationship. Whether this a good or bad step Is debatable - but the fact is we are going to see much more of this in future. Girls are brought up to be independent in their views, are made financially independent thro jobs etc, this is a good thing. But, this independence and forward thinking has led in many cases to intolerance to accept another's way of life, adjusting to different family situations if it is not how they were accustomed to etc. THIS, as we see in so many threads is the reason for fights, cold wars, back biting etc in many homes. Over the years , the expectations of parents also would or rather should be to accept what is happening in society. As you sow, so you reap, whether for good or bad :)

8. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

Wow !Thanks for you replies.
    I will give you one example of "flimsy excuse"
    I have a friend who is a lawyer in the family court and she told me believe it or not a couple came seeking mutual separation because they don't share the same like for a particular brand toothpaste..Toothpaste?:confused2:According to them(they have been married just for 3 months) if they don't have the common liking for the same brand then Where was the question of compatibility on other matters....Pls I am not joking.When I first heard this I was zapped:idontgetit:,then she gave me many more such cases.......This is just one.Believe it or not.
    2. Also the expectation level in a relationship has increased( why not) and this may have lead to hesitation to take a decision.And lets face Marriage is a big commitment for anybody:) All matter of YES OR NO
    That's why I have shared this thread because I am still searching for that elusive answer to the question....whatfriendssmiley is the true meaning of commitment....& marriage
    Looking for more answers and mutual discussion
    Sumee

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I am pretty sure this new attitude of independent women will only lead to better things and a better society. Women will become less tolerant of abuse and the families of son's will stop considering themselves a God's gift to man kind. I have not seen a single 'happy' family broken by divorce.Contrary to the OP 's post....we will see more real marriages between man and women and not arrangement forced to live out their lives for the sake of society.

12 people like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Really? And did they get a divorce? Which court in this country allows divorce on such grounds?India is still not an easy country to get a divorce even in cases where divorce should be a natural course of things. Please don't make up silly cases and insult the many abused women who have gone through this in this very forum..

If indeed it is true...please provide some proof.

5 people like this.