1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Watched The Movie " The Great Indian Kitchen "

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by liya1984, Jan 19, 2021.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

If your TV browser is easy to handle it should be ok. Mine is 5-6 years old, drives me crazy with buffering, so I dont use that mode.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Wish it was streamed on Prime or Hostar or YouTube...would have been easier for me.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I too loved that scene and it was ultimate. She took the right decision at the right time.

chanchitra and Lalithambigai like this.
  4. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Anyone else thinking of nominating this quote. Nailed it. Just finished watching the entire movie in one go and absolutely loved the ending :thumbup: Looking forward to watching more movies on this platform, in a la carte mode :thumbsup:

Needtobestrong and Mistt like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The movie's topic is a good one and kudos to the producer for making a movie on it. Effortless acting by all the main cast. Watching the movie felt a bit dragging though. Repeatedly seeing the same kitchen work scenes was not what I expected in a movie. Maybe I sat down to watch the movie mid-week after a long day and after dinner clean up.. so it was like my attention went from my kitchen sink to hers. : )

It is a movie that will hopefully cause some discomfort and thinking in older generation who watch it with the DIL. However, I found quite a few one-sided presentations of issues.

Woman wants to work after marriage
    The woman's family does not discuss clearly with the man's side about the woman doing a job after marriage. The man claims they told her parents about she should not take up a job. The woman says her parents didn't tell her about that. Further, the woman's mom encourages her to apply for the job anyway, and "we'll see later ... what happens ..." That is not good advice, it is more like bait and switch. The man's family might have chosen her as she is not working. They might not like their DIL to work as a dance teacher.

Woman's parents don't do due diligence?
    People in the movie have FB accounts. She is asked to delete a video from her FB page. So, the movie is set in recent times. The man's family still uses a wood or coal thingie to make rice. And there seems to be no regular maid servant. Why get daughter married into such a household?

Man is not considerate of the woman's needs or preferences in intimacy
    It was refreshing to see this issue highlighted in an Indian movie so clearly. We need more such movies. At the same time, one has to wonder if it is realistic to expect that kind of compatibility in an arranged marriage with no extended get-to-know each other period. The man and the woman barely talked with each other. They get married nevertheless and she discovers that he is not into foreplay.

It would have been better if both sides of this issue were presented. Men also have to put up with their preferences or desires remaining unmet. It is unfortunately very common for women to get married even if they are not terribly interested in sex. The advice given by the older women to the bride leaving for her marital home can be as succinct as the word "cooperate" being whispered into her ear as she is getting into the backseat of the flower-decked car. Been there, overheard that. Just to avoid any misconceptions: I overheard that; was not the recipient of that advice. Like the woman in the movie puts up in bed with what she has to, there are men who have to make do with a wife for whom sex is mainly an obligation.

There's more fish in the wider pool
    Often, a woman's family wants to marry her into a family from the same caste or community, to a man who hasn't been married before, is of a certain age, education and earning level. That narrows down the pool quite a bit. If the woman wants to work after marriage, wants a man who will treat her as an equal, who will care about her sexual satisfaction, why not become as modern in the groom hunt too?

The arranged marriage system works well for those who don't go looking for modern fundas and results in a traditional system. Better to modify it to a semi arranged system. Find the match through the system but take the time to get to know each other.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  6. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

@SunPa : one question though, isn't most of the indian men (sorry to be racist here) like the wham-bam-thankyou-mam mode in terms of sex. And in the end we become very dismissive of them in general that gives out a lot of negative energy from our side and we become extremely bitter about the whole experience.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    lakshmi888 and chanchitra like this.
  7. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

@Rihana : Fair enough...If we think we don't want to go the traditional arranged marriage route, what are our options. We will get into the dating websites, but I see those websites filled with the same kind of men who are entitled and have patriarchy all ingrained in them....They will never admit that they have these traits or they might never even realize this and they will all claim that they are "MODERN "....and will conveniently leave those feminist shoes at their doorsteps....

or else we have to start seeking men outside our culture but what is the common ground to communicate?:disrelieved:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    godsgp, lakshmi888 and chanchitra like this.
  8. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

I totally agree with you but absolutely clueless on how to go about that...I understand that certain things cannot be taught which makes me wonder if I am mentally incapable of handling relationships.

9. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Very true.
    Husband's can insult, hurt even abuse their wives,
    But when they're in the wham bam mode, how can you expect the same wife to stroke his virility.

godsgp and lakshmi888 like this.
  10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Do you think men like the character portrayed in the movie can be changed? If you plant a mango tree and expect a banana is the expectation right ? If you take steps to make a change in a situation like this there will be a big chaos in the marriage life and very few are prepared to handle such chaos.

lakshmi888 and KashmirFlower like this.