1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Watched The Movie " The Great Indian Kitchen "

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by liya1984, Jan 19, 2021.

1. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Ladies, i recently watched the " the great indian kitchen ".
    This was a very powerful movie that many scenes were so close to my life even if it was a different scenario.
    There was a scene in the movie where the wife tells the husband that sex is painful for her and she would like some foreplay. This request is then met with indifference and gaslighting.

Here is my question to all of you : I have encountered this kind of horrible reactions from men , maybe because of their underlying ego and inferiority complex.

How would you handle that situation without getting hurt?

2. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

I watched the movie today. Awesome movie. I liked the scene at the end where she pours the dirty water on his face.
    Regarding the scene you have mentioned .
    The husband also passes a snide remark,oh you know everything regarding this. So cringe.
    How to handle this. The wife l should refuse sex still he understands her point.

3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I haven't watched the movie, as it's not there in any of the streaming platforms which I usually subscribe to...
    But I want to watch it...
    Can anyone pls let me know how I can watch online? I require english subtitles as I dont understand Malayalam except for few words...
    Coming to the point., yes I saw just that clip on youtube and I feel very sad for the heroine...such an insensitive husband..!!

stayblessed likes this.
  4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

That's a tough situation. Though I havent watched the movie going by the comments and your post that's a horrible thing to say to a wife. Initially we had issues in having intercourse. It was too painful. Half the reason was we didn't know how to handle it and half of it was my extreme fear. I was too naive and in the early days of marriage that too in an arranged marriage set up I couldn't expect understanding from my husband either though till date whenever I think of my early marriage days I have a sick feeling. He won't force me or anything but he would get very angry with me at the drop of the hat. We were hesitant initially to visit a doctor as well though that's what helped us in the end. I had vaginismus and it was psychological. Then went for few sessions and the Dr spoke to my husband too and counselled him as well. Though with the course of time men forget and with age, intimacy also reduces , women are still left with fresh wounds every time when we remember the past. May be you can try external lubricants like ky jelly and coconut oil. That's what helped me initially till I could come out of the phobia.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    KashmirFlower, sangiak and chanchitra like this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Where to watch it?
    On streaming platform Neestream || Live TV, Movies, Catchup, Orginals and More at One Destination.
    Once you sign up, you have a few packages which you can choose.
    This movie is USD 2 or INR 140. You can have access for 5 days.
    Or you can choose a 30 day package for all movies at USD 3 or INR 210

The movie is so raw and real - actors have done justice to the role.
    One may feel it doesnt relate - gas stoves and old kitchens and stuff. But no, this is the story of most women, in tiny tiny ways patriarchy rules us. Both men and women.
    It can seem some scenes are repetitive, but it is necessary, the director builds the frustrations of the protagonist in us.
    Dont want to give away the script so will refrain from details for the movie.

It is hard without turning confrontational or hurting their ego or both.

One way could be turning on the feminine charm, rewarding foreplay with a greater "rewards" , stroking their virility and ego vs being disinterested/reluctant/ dismissive of his manliness when the man is in a wham-bam-thankyou-mam mode.

6. chanchitra

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does anyone know if Neestream or Telegram Web have subtitles?

Read that both Netflix and Amazon Prime rejected the movie. What a pity.

chanchitra likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Neestream has with subtitles in English too.

I couldnt cast it on to my TV from my phone . Actually I could but the video was not being cast, but the audio was , weird. I managed to watch it by connecting my laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable.

Rihana likes this.
  9. chanchitra

Telegram didn't have subtitles

Rihana likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am hoping to watch it on TV by myself and without needing to call upon the all-male IT dept. at home for help with the casting. ROFL. : )