Has anyone tried Nirapara Dosa Mix?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunflower19, Dec 23, 2009.

1. sunflower19

sunflower19 New IL'ite

I got Nirapara dosa mix from the Indian store. It does not have any additives and the first time I made the dosa, it was awesome!! It asks that we add 1 cup of dosa powder to 2 cups of water and then keep it aside for 8 to 10 hrs. I have been adding salt nowadays before I leave it for fermenting and the result has not been great:bonk. Does adding salt before/after fermenting make a difference? Please let me know!

2. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Nirapara products are generally good. I havent tried their dosa mix, but have used their puttu and idiappam/appam mix. I make murukkus also from idiappam mix. They come out damn good !! As you have said they came out "awesome" the first time..But I dont think adding salt stops fermentation. But ensure that you cover the batter properly and put it in a warm place. I think it should work...

3. sunflower19

sunflower19 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply! I am still :confused2: about what I did the first time that the batter fermented so wonderfully!! Does it matter if it is kept in an airtight stainless steel container or not?

4. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

It does not matter if you use a covered stainless steel container...But you should ensure that it is kept in a warm place to help ferment.

5. sunflower19

sunflower19 New IL'ite

:thumbsupfinally!!! i tried n tried again and got just the right batter!! thanks for the tips! i have made dosa batter from scratch before but when this easy and tasty alternative is available might as well use it:cheers