Has anyone seen any weird miscarriage like this? And tried to conceive after?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Confused211, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Hello Ladies

My LMP was on March 25th. I had an HPT+ on April 22, darker lines on April 23 and 25. On 29th, I started bleeding and got HPT-. I went to the ER, where they found that my hcg level was only 15 and progesterone was very low (not sure, but I think around 1 or so). Nothing in transvaginal u/s. Only a small cyst in left ovary, which didn't bother them, they said. They asked me to go back for a follow-up on Friday, May 1. My OBGYN said that the cervix is closed and that miscarriage appeared to be complete. Beta-Hcg came back at 27, however. On Wednesday, May 6, it was 109. On Thursday, I went in for another t.v. u/s; nothing. They only saw a cyst in the right ovary, which they said was probably the corpus luteum. I had spotting at night and on Friday morning. My beta-Hcg came back at 123 (Friday, May 8). By night, spotting converted to bleeding for 2 days. My OBGYN called me on Monday, May 11, and warned me of a chance of an ectopic. I had discomfort on my right side, like I grew a bladder on one side, on Wednesday May 13. I went in to the ER again (because this was in the evening), but they didn't see anything on yet another t.v. and regular u/s. The cyst on the right side, however, was open and possibly leaking blood/fluid into the abdomen, which may have been the cause of the discomfort, they said. Beta was 37, however. Friday May 15, I went back for another beta test and it came back at 29, it was dropping like for a miscarriage, no problem. I had spotting again, starting Friday through Wednesday May 20. Only spotting, though. Thursday May 21, beta was 6.

At no point during the bleeding did any tissue pass, though. My doc said that the body may re-absorb tissue at times. On second thought, there probably wasn't much to pass, given that there never was a sac to be seen that should be visible arnd 5 wks, I am told.

On Friday, May 22, I started bleeding again (this would have been the exact day and time of a period if pg and m/c hadn't intervened (I get it every 29 days). The length of bleeding and relative amounts were exactly the same as for a regular period. My OBGYN said that I may have irregular bleeding/normal period at any time. I have been flow-free for almost 2 wks now. She said that I can ttc at any time I want as my m/c was natural and b/c doing something is better than sitting around, emotionally, we started over.

I began to attempt to chart BBT so that I know when to stop or to expect a period. My temps kept going down, and today, my thermometer beeped, but no display! Past 2 days, I couldn't take temps because I woke up an hour before the earliest time I can take it. Dropping temps were probably just BBT thermometer going out. Way to go, ditching me at a time like this.

I had mild cramping yesterday (no pain, just cramp) and am wondering if I ovulated then. If all's normal like a regular cycle, y'day should have been O day. But no BBT to confirm/not confirm.

Qs:

1. Has anyone seen a miscarriage like mine?

2. I read that intercourse during first trimester is not recommended if there is a history of m/c. Do/should couples ttc abstain from BD during weeks 3 and 4? As I am not sure I ovulated, I am tempted to continue until I see an HPT+. But I am frightened about a repeat of last time. Suggestions?

3. Anyone who had an m/c- did you successfully carry a baby to full term despite BD during weeks 3 and 4?

I understand that every woman is different, and my May 22-25 bleeding might not even have been a period, but my mother thinks it was because body somehow remembers these things. I would really appreciate any input from experienced ladies/doctors out there, at this very confusing time.

If you got all the way to the end of this post, thank you so much for taking the time!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dear confused... sorry dont know your name to address you otherwise..
    there could be two possibilities in your case.
    first one which is extremely rare.. false positive. the presence of corpus luteum means that your uterus was definitely preparing itself for conception by thickening the walls of endometrium but ...probably a true conception never happened which led to bleeding.
    corpus luteum is present in all of us after ovulation, which eventually withers away along with other debris which is given out during periods.

second instance would be that you had a chemical pregnancy, which is such an early miscarriage that there is hardly any preparation done inside.conception does happen and HPT shows positive... but hcg and progesterone change by a miniature value.
    as per chemical pregnancy,one good thing is the miscarriage has hardly done any harm to you, and you can start ttc the very next month.
    but since your bbt etc is all messed up, just relax this cycle and try again the next cycle.

dont worry, human body as such does act funny at times ... but theres nothing to worry about in your case it seems.

3. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Thank you so much for your post. Chemical pregnancy sounds like it! False positive sounds not quite possible, because the lines kept getting darker, and I also started to get hungry very early in the morning from even before BFP. Just until the bleeding began. On April 29, I woke up, but wasn't hungry. That bothered me, so I took another HPT, and bam! negative! Interesting, maybe that's why my period came back on time. A miscarriage that I wouldn't have noticed had it not been for the weird bleeding and the tests! And maybe that bleeding started a week later than my period due date.

I just read up about chemical pregnancy and apparently, 50-60% of first pregnancies are chemical and end in miscarriage. I have had my friends (who I resent some times because of their just fine first pregnancies) tell me that they had bleeding start, stop, and start again a couple of times but didn't get BFP. I just happened to be one of those for whom it came out positive and bleeding extended for longer! I'll stop being resentful. I know that they thought that they may be pregnant then too!

Just typing this makes me feel better, and I think I'll believe this and not feel so bad soon. Hey, ttc time! I don't know you, but you're a friend! Just don't tell me that it may have been a false positive. I'll probably start crying again! You can call me Hasya.

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hasya,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum.....
    You can find our forum guidelines here....

Don't keep thinking about your lost pregnancy & feel bad about those! Relax! Try to be positive! Take a month break if you feel you are week! Then try!

Eat healthy! Baby dust to you...