Hartalika Teej!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by amrita.sinha, Sep 13, 2008.

1. amrita.sinha

amrita.sinha Senior IL'ite

Hi Indus Ladies!

How was your Hartalika Teej?
    Well It was on 2 september.On Hartalika Teej I did vrat without water and pooja.

By and Large Hartalika Teej is very famous festival for Marvadi(Rajasthani) Women.
    On This Day Ladies
    invoke the blessing of the goddess so that they can enjoy long and blissful married lives.

I remember my childhood days when we celebrated festival in India and this colorful festival of Hartalika Teej welcomes the monsoon season. In these days many swings are hung from trees and these swings are decorated with flowers. On this holy day we use to swing on these with singing traditional songs and enjoying the monsoon arrival.

All of you are welcome to share your experiences how you celebrated this holy festival of Hartalika Teej.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Amrita,
    I am a South Indian and I just love to know about the traditions of different people other than mine.
    I always watch the Hindi programmes and am familiar with most of the festivals. Recently, I watched the Teej vrat on one of the serials with Rajasthani background. It comes on Colours channel and is calle Balika Vadhu. It is about the child marriages prevelant in Rajasthan and its ill effects.
    In the serial, the women fast the whole day (they eat the previous night's dinner together, husband serves food for the wife) after pooja in the evening, the vrat is broken by taking water from husband. Don't you feel tired when you are not taking water? Who is Teej Matha, who is the diety of that vrat?

3. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Re: Miscellaneous

Hi Varloo!

Hope you are good.
    Wow I am glad to here that being south Indian you enjoy Hindi festivals and Prograames.Yes I know about new serial Balika Vadhu.It shows culture of Rajasthan.Yes this fast is known to be tough but Teej mata gives us strength.So there is a form of energy in our body even without taking water.

Teej mata is Goddess Parvati.
    I can tell you more information about why we do Teej Vrat?
    Why this Vrat named Teej Vrat?
    What is the significance of this Vrat etc?

Let me know if anybody wants these answers of curious questions.

4. snigdha.jadhav

snigdha.jadhav New IL'ite

Hi all,

As far I know there are three teej celebrated in India,Rajasthan Haryali Teej, the Kajari Teej and the Hartalika Teej.
    But Iwant to know what are the difference between them?
    Why we celebrates so mant teej.
    Are their pooja procedure different.
    Whom we worship During these tee?

Hope somebody will answer my queries!!!:)

5. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

Of course Nini I am curious and would like to get details on
    why we do Teej Vrat?
    Why this Vrat named Teej Vrat?
    What is the significance of this Vrat etc?
    Thanks

6. ritu678

ritu678 New IL'ite

Hi all,

How are you all?

On Hartalika Teej 3-day fast is done.It is very tough fast.You cannot take even water on this Hartalika Teej.

Hartalika Teej Vrat is very famous in Rajasthan,Madhya Pradesh.

Hope anybody will more come up with your answers.

7. shivanichilly

shivanichilly New IL'ite

Hey Ladies!!!

There are three types of teej I guess.
    Hartalika Teej
    Haryali Teej.
    And one more I forgot the name.
    All are they different.
    What is the significace of doing these three Vrats.
    Are procedure of doing pooja for three teejs are same?

8. blueikon23

blueikon23 New IL'ite

hi frns:hiya
    it's too gud to c all of the indian ladies knows abt teej(atleast)
    im going to keep fast on HARITALIKA TEEJ on 10 sep.its my 1st teej vrat after marriage.
    i was wondering what to eat before commencement of vrat means what to eat before vrat, so that i can easily survive whole day?
    can anyone plz suggest me.

9. Archana1

Archana1 New IL'ite

Hi frnds,

Love to see all celebrating Hartalika Teej, it's on 10th Sep this year and will be 5th teej for me but so much of excitement every year with the preparations i do :). I celebrate Teej with wearing new saree and whole attire with all suhag things. Also for the puja we need to buy all suhag items for Teej mata to devote (bangles, sindoor, mehndi, bindi, ribbon, mangalsutra, mirror, comb, nail paint, powder, earings); decorate your pooja thali with all these things and fruits and cucumber to devote to Teej mata (Maa Parvati). In the evening we do prayer to Shiv and Parvati idol and Teej vrat katha and next day m'ing after prayer need to submerge the idols.

Before commencing your vrat, try eating food rich in juices like cucumber etc so that you won't feel thirsty next day, and avoid oily and spicy food and potato like things rich in starch making you feel thirsty.

Guys all best wishes for Teej festival....:)

10. kavyajhade

kavyajhade New IL'ite

Hi,
    I just want to knw the puja vidhi and things required for the teej puja...
    thanks in advance....

Kavya