1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Harmony and Peace - Taken for granted?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Amywos, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Who told us that Peace, Harmony and Happiness is default?

Being out-of-trouble and leading a normal peaceful life, Is that DEFAULT in life? But dont we feel so? May be we dont even realize that we are feeling so. Shouldn't we feel gifted to gain a painless, peaceful day? How many people out there don't have it, but we do. But are we really feeling grateful for it? I guess, NO. Because we take them for granted.

Why is that we frown at the face of sorrow and down for a having a bad day, but, not celebrating as much as we frown when we are fine and happy, when our life is sailing smooth in harmony?

We take many things for granted. Almost everything that is good that happens to us are taken for granted. And we react less to them, and all that favors us, in leading a normal happy peaceful life is left unnoticed. But if the routine changes and there is a bit of trouble, we frown, cry or feel frustrated or feel the whole world is against us. Personally I feel this is biased.

When we are hurt by our friends or any of our loved ones, we make sure we stand up and demand justice by arguing or fighting or scolding. But how often do we recognize and reciprocate the little pleasure and happiness that they give, that makes our day fit and fine. Dont we need to be grateful for those?

I realize that we do not appreciate the good little things often, but will make sure we stand against and fight if hurt by someone. Sometimes a note of 'thanks' or 'u-r-great' or 'i feel good about u' will make a day for someone. I see how happy it makes mom feel when I praise her cooking, which I never often do. Coz I take for granted that she is to provide me nice and tasty food. I see how happy it makes my sis feel when I say I am very much happy in chatting with her when am feeling all alone in US. I am of course happy for it, but I never usually feel like conveying it to her. I thank my DH for helping me in kitchen when am down, which he anyway dont feel as a burden. Like this, there are many many petty things in life which we take for granted. We know its fetching us happiness deep inside, but we never show it out. But when such things are shown out, how good it feels. And what else is more powerful and more motivating than a word of appreciation? When someone says what u do is good, naturally we feel like doing it again. All of us love to be appreciated, thanked. So lets give the joy to others too. By this I dont mean to simply flatter people with our comments, but start noticing the unnoticed happiness, the happiness that is taken for granted, and be grateful for it.

Just a small note of praise, makes a lot difference, in others, in ourselves too.

It makes our life more balanced. Reacting to -ve things in life is quite common, but reacting to +ve things too, will make our life more balanced and meaningful. At least Amy feels so :)

2. csailaja

csailaja Senior IL'ite

Hai Amy,

very well said.

radhika

3. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Radhika :)

Love,
    amy

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very well said Amy.. Keep writing dear..
    This is a very common scene the world over. Many people only call if they need anything done or acknowledge you if there is something needed. To show praise or appreciation is becoming a rare commodity.
    Who is to blame? Hectic lifestyles. No. One when has time to talk for ever over the phone these small gestures only take a minute or so.
    More awareness need to be created. Thanks for writing on a nice topic and a pleasure to read your well written blog.

5. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Thanks AC Mam :)

Love,
    Amy

6. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Dear Amy.
    You got here the secret to making meaningful relationships last long and be harmonious!
    best,
    h

7. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for ur comments Hasita :)

Love,Amy

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Great topic Amy! makes one ponder....
    We get so caught up in the drama of life, we allow all of the blessings and miracles to fall by the wayside and then we wonder why at the end of the day we are discontent and frustrated.
    As you have pointed out,the key ingredient to make life truly worth living is GRATITUDE.
    By implementing this simple practise of gratitude by saying thanks or appreciating a kind gesture from ones close to us or even those not so close to us, we can gather immense benefits and bring about fulfillment and joy in our lives and theirs thereby paving the way for a peaceful and harmonious life for all.
    Agree with you that we should all consciously make it a practise never to take anything for granted for it may not be there tomorrow , so be thankful and appreciative and count our blessings always.
    warm regards
    PAULINA

9. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

Very good post and very good point.

It is true what Ananchitra has said - it is become commonplace the world over, this inconsiderate behavior. I have had more than my fair share of it, been on the receiving end of many a phone call or email soliciting my assistance for something or another, then the person is not to be heard from again until another urgent matter arises requiring my help/advice/etc.

I used to be the one to always remember all birthdays, anniversaries, etc. and write nice letters to everyone and always keep in touch. Somehow the naive part of me kept it up for years thinking that somehow they would acknowledge, etc. Sending holiday wishes too everyone we knew, family, friends, acquaintances. It was what was done. All my life we did this, it was expected by loved ones and good business professionally. Nowadays no more.

Now that I have my own child and am busy, I have stopped all of that - only those who have reached back to me to reciprocate by an occasional phone call, or (gasp) a letter (OMG, you mean people actually still WRITE those things???) are given anymore of my affection. I figure after so many years of these affectionate things going unanswered, have no right to complain now if I stop - especially if they do not even call for my daughter's birthday! Things have changed a lot since my growing up, and not forthe better where this is concerned!

:)

10. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much Paulina and Likemychai for ur wonderful comments. :)

Love,
    Amy