1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Mother's Day..how many of you wished her?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Happy2be, May 9, 2012.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Happy Mother's day to all ladies here:). I was just wondering what importance does wishing such occasions like mothers day..fathers day..daughters day..hold in our lives..Are these really occasions or just fancies by Archies and the like?

As far as I remember, me and siblings used to wish mum and Dad and used to pool in from our pocket money to get some small gifts....once we entered college and then started working...we just wished..and gifts were not bound to any occasions except birthdays and anniversaries. After getting married, I saw that there was no such trend of wishing at any occasion here...Kind of all were hesitant in using words to wish..but would try things like lets cook something different today..lets go out...SLowly, I began the trend of wishing...giving surprise gifts and since it was a trend at my side...any occasion meant phone calls from my relatives the entire day..Within say 2 years, in laws too started wishing and giving gifts for birthdays and anniversaries. DH is till date a miser when it comes to using words for wishing..haha...

With time, I used to forget too that it was mothers day or fathers day or daughters day..and at times didnt call up my parents to wish..I never expected DH to wish them for these. Me and DH feel that these days are just business tactics of Archies and the like, else why is Mothers day celebrated on different dates in different countries..whats the story behind these dates...all occasions have something to them:) WHatever...till last year, I used to religiously wish in laws and get some or the other gift for them on these occasions too...even if I didnt specially call my parents to wish them. In-laws sometimes used to wish me daughters day, at others not...but that was fine..it wasn't deliberate. MIL also gets me gifts..mostly suit pieces or bedsheet for birtday anniversary...and I respect her for that...thats a different thing that are choices are different...I still always have used whatver she gives me with whole heart...
    When I get gifts for her, she would never say that it wasn't her choice or even if I ask in prior, she will not tell what she needs and her choice...but many a times, when I get something and if its not her choice..she'll keep it...as she feels its giving respect to others feelings and efforts but would not use it...I keep reminding her...she'll listen, smile or not smile and ignore...later at some point she had put in DH's ears that she doesnt have this or that...or that my choice is not good..or something..specially when she's annoyed with me..all comes out together..SO since some time now, DH tells me not to get anything...and let her buy stuff for herself of her own choice and we can wish her by some special dinner at occasions...but then, MIL said at times that we dont take care of her needs and wishes...and she can't spare much so cannot buy herself stuff of her choice.
    For 1 item she wanted since long, we asked her that is you need extra DH said I'll give you, get one of your choice...she didn't...got one but later wasn't herself happy with it. Once we all were out and she chose from an outlet but it was way costly..when it came to its worth..almost three times the worth, that pinched her...I think. The issue is when she tells her choice, its different...when she shows a similar with someone..thats different, when she gets one herself..thats again different. Me and DH can't understand her choice :bonk
    I used to wish her on Mothers day by touching her feet but those of you who know my story...I don't touch her feet since months now and I didn't do that even today..though I did wish her and me and DH brought home special dinner yesterday night itself..of her choice telling her that it was for Mothers Day. ANd strangely, this time, I didn't get that feeling from inside as I used to...I used to feel happy and excited about giving her surprise gifts....and now..I just like doing that as a good DIL..out of respect for the relation.

SO, how many of you have the trend of wishing and gifting in laws and in what way?

2. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

mmmm....? No one wished..or everyone did? :)

3. meitz

meitz Senior IL'ite

As far as I know it's celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May and so mother's day is 13th May, why u celebrated it yesterday?

4. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

im not sure...I was getting msgs from my sisters for mothers day.....and many around were talking...my SIL called...Honestly I never remember such dates:-(...Anyways..my thread as not about the date:) May be I shud wait till 13th :)

5. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

yesterday night, out of sheer restlessness, I shared with DH that after the last episode with MIL...unlike all earlier times..this time I am not being able to get back to absolute normal..myself. My comfort level has completely changed with her and that it was not deliberate from my side. I told him that yes for few days I was deliberately keeping away as I was very upset but now even when I am trying to get back..I'm not being able to.
    I was disturbed within because thats not me...and of course I felt that if this is visible to all then DH might feel annoyed as a son...but I'm so blessed to be married to this humble man, who doesn't really judge anyone by relations but by attitude, behaviour and the like. He was calm and said its fine..keep it to what keeps you comfortable...and don't think much about what will MIL think for each step of yours. You can't change her...so dont stress yourself. That confession was such a relief for me :)

6. swetha9

swetha9 New IL'ite

To Be Frank we dont need a special day to express her what we have for her but yes,as there is a day for her I did wished her and she was happy. :)..I love my MOM :)

1 person likes this.