1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Father's Day, Dear Ma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by senzzation, Jun 19, 2011.

1. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    As children all over wish their Dads a Happy Father’s Day today, I wish the same to my Ma (Mom) and rightly so since she has been both a Mom & a Dad to me since Dad passed away when I was just 5. It must’ve been tough for her to play both parents to a son of 12+ & a daughter of 5 but she did it, all the while exhibiting tremendous strength of character, love and belief in her kids.

For me at least, Ma made up for the void that Baba (Dad) had left. Of course there were times when I missed Baba. I always felt a pang in my heart when I saw the special relationship that most of my friends shared with their Dads. I was fearful of people who asked me, “Do you remember your father?” because I never knew what the truthful answer was. “Duh, he was my Dad. Surely I remember him” or is it “I was only 5. How can I remember him?” ? The truth is I have snatches of memory from the past when I can clearly visualize Baba but I am not really sure whether those have been conjured up by my mind from hearing the countless stories about him or whether they are the real thing. Anyway, Baba has lived in my memory through the anecdotes told & re-told by Ma & Dada (elder brother) and countless others who knew, loved & respected him. Whereas, Ma has always been & still is beside me through the ups & downs of my life … sharing my joys & sorrows, bolstering my courage when I’m at a loss, correcting my mistakes when required and just being there whenever I need her.

Although Ma never had a career herself, she instilled in me the importance of being independent and did not harass me to get married till I was ready to, although at every family get-together that she went she was harassed about it … everyone asking her when her close-to-30 (read over-the-hill) daughter intended to get married !!! There was never a topic which was taboo for discussion at our home. Ma always encouraged us to speak our minds though there were plenty of times when we didn’t agree with each others’ view points. :) Despite having had our share of misunderstandings, we have always been friends and today, I am her lifeline as she is mine.

A gutsy and very independent (edging on stubbornness, at times :) )lady, she lives by herself in our old apartment in Calcutta where she stepped in the day she got married & enjoys life to the hilt ... socializing with friends and relatives. She is my idol ... the perfect Woman of Substance !!!

Happy Father’s Day, Dear Ma.

[/JUSTIFY]

startinganew likes this.

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Your mom has an interesting personality.

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Hats off to your mom!!!
    Great blog dear:thumbsup

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello senzz..,

Kudos to your mom's valiance.

That was a great tribute to her:)

:cheers
    Saras

5. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Your mom is so great senz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai sezz,

Your mom qualities to be an appreciated one. You have
    'summarised the topic in a nice way dear.

7. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

Thanks to u all for ur comments. Yes, she sure is a great lady. :)