Happy 377th Birthday To Chennai

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by Induslady, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Yes. Equipment’s are in ships shape!
    Food and beverage are quite good . Servings and drinking by side of the pool in bright light wonderful even now. Membership only on recommendation.
    மேட்ராஸ் நல்ல மெட்ராஸ்.
    Thanks and Regards.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:Hi thanks.
    2. Koyambedu Wholesale Market Complex (KWMC), popularly known as the Koyambedu Market, is a wholesale fruit and vegetable market. Established in 1996, when the city's principal wholesale fruit and vegetable market in Kothawal Chavadi had to be closed.

3. There were too many protests and many reluctant to shift shop from Kothavale chawdi . I used to enjoy as a boy of ten with dad walking in bylanes of Kotwal Chawdi and picked up snap tests to select and buy vegetables tender soft etc. breakfast at ARYA BHAWAN before visit to market a must with dad.

4. Kothwal Chawdi Veg open stored used to stay fresh at home for long whereas concrete building enclosed shops Koyambedu veg must use same day else gets withered, wilted and or rot soon. Fruits can never be stored at home for long even refrigerated.

Thanks for nostalgia.
    Regards.

Rihana and Caughtinbetween like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello: Hi thanks.
    2. My neighbour in 1953-54, ramanan - with his six sisters - used to carry tins stuffed with snacks including Patta I Sundal and PAPER ( to convert to cone to pack Sundal ) almost daily to marina beach. Some times I accompany him to join him as a vendor. Oh! Those were the impecunious days!
    3. Gundumali reminds temple entrances at big Street, Triplicane and mylapore and of course it reminds my sister too!
    Regards.

Rihana and Caughtinbetween like this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Happy to see you @Thyagarajan sir after a long time :hello: . your absence here is very noticeable .

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:Ah, that reminds me the residence I stayed with my mom & sisters in 1960-64 opposite to the main entrance of Chepauk cricket club at Bellsroad, when there was no huge concrete stadium.
    I have seen international players coming in and out of the Chepauk cricket club.
    Thanks and Regards.

6. Thyagarajan

:hello:I was away with family and friends in connection with wedding of my Foreign friends’ at Udupi. It was four days royal wedding as per hindu practices near ocean pearl. Except cooked white rice, rest of the thirty and odd times served on banana leaf and buffet were all Karnataka specials names unknown to me, yet I enjoyed all the food sessions. There were opportunities to sing and dance with friends and family members followed by a royal reception in Mumbai.

2. They and their friends kept us busy visiting other temples within a radius of 80 to 100 kms from udipi in Karnataka.

3. I enjoyed the delight you expressed in my return here .

Thanks and Regards.
    God bless.

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Where were you all this time. I was wondering about your mysterious disappearance from this forum for a long time and also worried about you having any health issues. Hope things are good at your end.
    On a measuring scale both Mylapore and Triplicane stand at the same level- typical narrow lanes, long winding roads, temples at every nook and corner, and dingy food messes which offer excellent quality food for reasonable prices. That’s why you see long queues in front of Janna’s Kadhai bajji shop or Rayar’s mess, for their excellent food. Given the high prices of onions, I wonder if any hotel would touch onion with a barge pole.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks that am mighty delighted with your concern of my disappearance.
    2. I am hale and healthy. Busy with a marriage party at udupi and then mangalore and Mumbai. Also on visits to temples in karnataka with foreign friends and family members.
    3. I agree with your additional comments in this thread and to mine. There are cheaper things than onion and boxes of vintage books available on weight basis for a pittance. Refer the hindu metro of Saturday.
    4. About touching or not with barge pole, with ship load of arrival from Egypt, onion prices seem to come down. But still to be discovered In eateries.
    In mylapore karpakambal mess is my favourite for several years since.
    Regards.
    God is Onion too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019