1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

handloom fabrics by the yard

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by teacher, Jul 11, 2010.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI everyone,

I am looking for shops/places where I can buy handloom cotton fabrics by the yard-not sarees or dupattas. I have been using these to illustrate a children's book and don't want to cut a small portion of a saree or dupataa:(

The last time I was in Chennai, I spent a lot of time runiing from one corner of the city to another. Is there any place with a wide selection of handloom fabrics (not Nalli/Kumaran, nor Thillayadi Valliammai)-that way I can use my time effectively.

Thanks in advance
    Rama

2. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Try Fountain Plaza...Egmore.

3. mullai

mullai Senior IL'ite

hi .
    try the lane next to thillaiyadi valliammai in egmore this lane is just before the the flyover . go after 3.00 pm in the afternoon ,you will find plenty there
    mullai

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malathi, Mullai,
    thank you for the responses..I've heard of the side street next to T V...is it specifically handloom or do they sell milled cotton fabrics too?
    Thanks,
    Rama

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Rama,

They have cotton, cambric, hakoba and you should bargain with them to get a goood deal. Salwar sets are also on sale and a nornal cotton set will be Rs. 250. They are there from 2 p.m. on weekdays and earlier times on weekends. Go there before 5 p.m. so that you can check what you buy!

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Janani,
    Thanks for the time periods...I didn't know that.

Rama

7. poorikumar

poorikumar New IL'ite

Mam,

u can check at Panthean road near egmore cooptex...if you need little higher end ,try at kalpadruma,....there will be exhibitions organised by artisans of Dakshinchitra...very good handloom ones...good luck finding that..

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Yes, I checked Thillayadi V. in Egmore..they told me I had to look at the fabrics without opening or moving any packet:) Then I checked on the street beside TV...where they had a lot of cotton prints but not many handloom choices (my project is exclusively with handmade/hand printed cotton fabrics).
    Fortunately the handloom exhibition at Valluvar Kottam had several co-ops selling running material...I did get a good cllection there. Mrignayani, the M.P state handloom store in Luz had quite a good selection as well...

Thanks for the input.
    R