1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween Party For 3-6 Year Olds In School

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by KashmirFlower, Sep 30, 2016.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hello all,

This is first time, I have to send my kid to Halloween party (for 3-6 year olds) in his Montessori. Do we need to send candies for all kids? I think we need to send him in a costume, that i will confirm with his teacher. Is it allowed to send small monster or spider toy that day, so that kids enjoy showing other kids what they got for halloween. Please share anything which you normally do.

Also at home do you take them to neighbors houses for candies. I have only one neighbor who talks with me, but can we knock on others door if kid wants to go.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And thus starts the process of Umrican festivals replacing Indian. : (

Most important - if child wants a coveted costume, get it ahead of time.

Usually, school will send out some info about what is allowed and how they celebrate. And some rules like no weapons allowed (even plastic). Other than costume, or candies if allowed by school, don't send stuff to school that is not to be shared with other kids. Teachers have enough of material, props, and sugar-high kids to handle that day.

Depends on school's plans whether child goes wearing costume from home, or puts it on at school. Try to choose a costume that child can put on mostly independently. And my personal precaution - I didn't get trailing kind of costume ever for my daughter, was afraid she'd trip on it during recess. Just me...

If you are the Dollar Store kind, get some decorations and put them up outside the house. Looks good. Do it as early as possible - this weekend if you can. ; ) The more weekends it is up, the more fun and more return for the effort.

About going trick or treating, the bigger the group the better. But, two is also fine. Anyway, the street will be filled with trick or treaters. After a while, if you get tired of walking around, tell kid it is better to give than to receive, and so head back home. : )

And don't be mean like my DH.. when kids ring the bell and say 'trick or treat', don't say 'trick'. That once caused a confused little girl to burst into tears! A three foot tall fairy, with wings, wand all, shedding tears. LOL the parent got so mad. : )

jskls, dimhere and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Rihana , great ideas,
    I will get some monsters :kissingcat:etc for decorating .
    On the way to his school target is there, he asked me several times already to take him there, just to press and hear sounds of monsters. He is not that scared . So he would have fun if i decorate with some scary stuff.

Will try to do as a group for treat , if any parents wants want to join. I will ask his friends moms.

I will have a chat with teacher if they send any list of things for that day. I will see some comfortable dress, he likes Spider-Man so mostly I will send in that. We will do all that shopping this weekend.