1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Half full or half empty…

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Ria2006, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Well life is best example for this phrase. It can be half full and half empty at same time..
    I guess mental eyes and grooming are the deciding factors, Which side the scale goes..
    Ariya was always happy that she had uncle, who dotted more than any parents would dot on their kids. He worked 3 straight shifts in work. So that she could go to best school in town. 15 years with this routine has seen Uncle Abby wear out a bit. But never had she seen his affection for her reduce. Strange is the word, which defines her connection with uncle Abby.
    Well way back, uncle Abby used to be a 20 something handsome guy living near to her late parents. Late..Indeed very late. They happened to meet a fatal fate while trying to save Ariya’s Granny. Granny was in hospital counting her last days. Ariya’s parents were rushing in cab to hospital. While the fate had different destination for them. They were desperate to meet granny. They all met .. but not in hospital. Perhaps heaven or any other such place. Now this left Ariya 3 years and some months old alone in a rented house.
    Love marriages can be weird. I could say all marriages are weird to some extent. Her parents’ marriage was that of resistance and perseverance. They had to walk out on their respective parents to marry each other.
    Parents can be unforgiving sometimes. She had no one who could claim her from paternal side. Maternal side was all well-off and healthy folks. But only if they had little heart, Ariya would have had different upbringing. But no one came.. Poor girl was told by neighbors why her parents would not come back. Neighbors’ sympathy also dried up after a couple of weeks.
    Uncle Abby was the only one, who took pains to contact her maternal uncles and all. No one cared about the kid.
    So uncle Abby, kind of was in deep conflict. Who wants an orphan kid at age of 22.Neighbours suggested him, he takes the little girl to orphanage and he can meet her there frequently.
    Sometime the thought came to him as well. But something in him stopped doing this. He gradually helped this girl settle her education, food, lodging.. and so on… Before uncle abby could realize he had already functionally adopted Ariya.
    Ariya loved his company too.. Years passed by.. Uncle abby’s life became ariya and his career..
    Now ariya was also growing up to take care of uncle. She would get up in morning. Clean the house and prepare breakfast.. That’s too mature for a little girl. But for some reason she had this gratitude towards uncle. Probably that s nature’s way of growing kids faster.
    Ariya was growing up to see her life half full than half empty.. Though at times, feeling of parents being snatched used to fill her with lot of wretchedness. But gratefulness to one and hatefulness to God would usually counter each other.
    People would suggest Abby to get married and get settled. Abby was always like.. I have daughter without even marrying. Why you folks want me to suffer with a wife .. and it would usually end there.
    Life was going on. Several Springs and several autumns . And Abby and his daughter were leading their lives as fate wanted them to. On Abby’s part, He s given up lot to make the glass half full to Ariya.
    Ariya was dreaming to go to her college next year. And grow up fast to help Uncle with expenses and to buy him expensive gifts.
    It was a usual evening, except one thing . They had third one to share their evening tea. Aunt Rose had come all the way from a foreign country to this small town to meet her long lost friend Abby. They seemed very good friends. Aunt Rose still remembered how much sugar abby would have in his tea. How he liked to look at birds indefinitely. First time in so many years, Ariya felt her glass being drained by someone completely. She was dying to send Aunt Rose back to her place.
    Uncle Abby was also looking relaxed and happier than other days. Evening went by. Dinner time came in. Aunt Rose offered both regular cooks to take leave while she cooked. Now this was too much.
    ….Why she has to act this way.. She ’s just here for a day or two.. Why she needs to do all this..Is she uncle’s lost lover ?.. Why uncle is not asking her when she will go….
    When will she go.. why not now.. Please go ..we dont need you..
    Lots of thoughts running in Ariya’s mind.
    Dinner was ready, It smelled really good. As expected , Uncle abby was all praises for aunt’s cooking. They had a walk after dinner. Lots and lots of talks. Aunt Rose Talks a lot.. thought ariya.
    Now the next day. Breakfast time. Before anybody got up, Aunt was all in kitchen and other stuff.
    …Hunn what the heck.. How long she is here..
    same jigsaw of questions in mind. Ariya Nibbled her breakfast quickly to rush to school. While Uncle dropped a bomb.. “Ariya, Show aunt local market in evening. She would buy some dresses and other stuff..”
    Ariya found it right time to ask..” Is aunt going to live with us for long?
    Uncle abby and aunt smiling..Yeah she would be probably be here a month or two.. She is just taking time off ..said Uncle.
    “hmm Oh so good.Sure I will show her around.” muttered Ariya while rushing out of home.
    Now suddenly the life has turned upside down.. Last time God snatched her parents from her.. And now Aunt Rose..No please no.. I will not let you do that…
    She rushed to school. Here life looks better than at home.. At least people don’t take her place. She was quite upset .. She chose to remain quiet.. weeks passed.. Ariya was losing the whole grip on house.. Aunt was doing most of mundane things. Uncle was happily passing so many chores to her. and she was rather happy to do it..
    Ariya was spending less and less time at home. No one seems to complain also about it.
    Life can be dry and scary when no one needs you. Sometimes for one thing we seem to lose all we have in our hands. Ariya was well ahead in her education, She had big plans of going to college , working hard. Doing part time.. Now it looks useless to her
    .. What the hell… life is going to be as this is right now.. It matters to no one, if she grows up to be some highly qualified big shot or just an average girl…
    Uncle and Aunt had chosen to go to nearby hill station. They wanted to take Ariya too. But she feigned about studies and upcoming tests. She remained in house.
    Other day she was walking to her school. Her old time school friend just came running behind her. She realized it was her 6th standard friend, who had left school to work for her family. She was bustling with laughter. She told her, her younger sister had stood first in her class. So she s very happy. They chatted their way to school. She could catch Ariya’s disinterest about everything. She asked more and more and Ariya burst into tears. She was like life can be harder at time. “My suggestion to you would be, Be selfish. You focus on your studies first. Your sister coming first won’t help you in future.” ,said Ariya.
    Her friend said, “You are hiding something, what s wrong.” Ariya told her everything about Aunt Rose. Her friend smiled and said Oh my! you are upset about such a small thing. If they like each other you should be happy. You are going to have complete family now.
    Ariya , “what if they throw me out after they marry each other”. Now this was unlike of her. She never spoke like that. Her friend said, “what uncle did for you is, something rare and praiseworthy. But you need to realize one thing. So far his life has been just your responsibilities and you. What happens when you go out for your career and your life. You need to make sure he has someone to be with.”
    This got Ariya wondering… Uncle’s glass was empty all this while.. She never realized that he may have yearned for a family or a regular life.
    Ariya wiped her tears and thanked her friend. She was going back to home and make sure house is all decorated before she make the announcement..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007

2. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

Dear Ria,
    It is such a beautiful story - to look at our own lives too like Ariya. It is how we look at life and count our blessings instead of looking for faults that is important. It is all up to us. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
    sindmani likes this.
  3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

I am glad u liked it.. I wrote it.. :tongue
    So i just wanted if anybody finds it good..

Best regards
    Ria

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ria,

Your story is very touching. I felt pity for Arya and I remembered a saying that 'for whom there is nobody there is God' and God came in the form of her uncle. Nice story, keep writting.

Regards,

TDU

19 people like this.
  5. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Ria

That was a nice story. I liked it. Half full or half empty.. mm you have a beautifully conveyed the message. we always tend to look at the half empty part of it......Keep writing.

regards
    vidhi

I liked your avatar.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  6. Priya2725

Priya2725 New IL'ite

Too good!!!!
    :cheers

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello ria

galloping through life?
    you write a gripping story....
    most of us are ariyas
    one way or other
    till a dear friend comes along
    does the story lead
    to more such
    nice stories?

sathya

8. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ria,

I loved this inspirational story. I do hope you write some more like this one. thanks for posting.:hatsoff

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Aruna----always liked the phrase--half full or half empty---if we look the problems this way, then most of them will be solved.

sriniketan

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

wonderful story Ria please keep bringing more..