Hair loss/ hair thinning post delivery

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by AnithaPartha, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

I delivered my baby recently and he is 5 months now. I'm having severe hair loss (not earlier but only after 4 months after delivery and I find a bunch of hairs coming out while taking hair bath). I need to sweep my room daily as I see hairs just falling off.

Recently, my GYN took blood work to find out my hormone levels and results are all normal and I'm very healthy eating good healthy food (including fruits, vegetables, multivitamins, using almond, coconut oils for hairs, stopped ironing my hairs etc).

I'm planning to see a tricologist (not sure if my insurance covers it up) but i'm planning to see a dermatologist if the other option fails. Let me see if any regrowth hair capsules or anything will help me out.

Please let me know if this is normal post delivery ? Any idea anyone checked this with dr?

2. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anitha PArtha

It is absolute normal after delivery and you will be back to normal after 6 to 10 month period. If the situation lasts more that period then you need to see doc.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Anitha, My doc said when baby's 1st bday is near, you will be back to normal if your body is healthy.. No more hair fall!

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Preethii,

If healthy whaatsmiley(I guess, we're not patients; we're MOM) just kidding ... fighting with Witsend

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What I meant by healthy is:

If no vitamin/iron/calcium deficiency
    Proper nutrients
    Healthy diet
    Enough sleep
    Less/No stress

6. rohinipriya21

rohinipriya21 Silver IL'ite

My kids are taking my hair for a toll.
    When I try to sleep before them( possibly tired after days work) they try to wake me by pulling my hair.I cry to tears when they do this. Sometimes I feel like tie my hair with some cotton chunni and safe guard it.

7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@AnithaPartha - I am exactly going through the same thing now. My baby boy is 4 months now. From the time I got pregnant till he was 3 months old, I never had any hair loss. Infact some days I didnt even lose a single hair. But now I am losing bunches of hair every single day. I am sure I will become bald soon if this does not stop (I've had hair issues previously and already have a thin hair and on top of this my current hair loss phase is driving me crazy)

Can you tell me what’s up with you now? Has it stopped and were you able to diagnose the root cause? How long did you have to face this? Is there something you did help you at all?

Please reply. I am anxiously waiting to hear from you.

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I wanted to update this thread so that it might be useful for somebody else going through this.

I had extreme hair loss exactly when my baby turned 4 months and it continued for a couple of months. And then exactly once he turned 6 months it stopped. I mean it was back to normal. I was surprised and happy. Not all are same, but if you undergo post partum hair loss there are good chances that it will be back to normal hair loss/hair shedding state in a couple of months.