1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

hair in knots

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shari2003, Dec 1, 2014.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Dear mommies,

My daughter has a little long hair on her head. The hair in the back portion of her head is completely in knots. She accidentally puts her fingers into the tangles and pulls them, and ends up crying. These days the hair at both sides of the head are also getting tangled. Is there a way to detangle the hair? We are not allowed to cut them (religious reasons) until she crosses a year.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Trim the hair ends regularly.
    Use a hair conditioner after washing her hair...avoid putting it on the scalp....more on the hair,specially the tips of the hair.
    You can also use very little oil at the hair ends.Put a little on your palms...rub hands together and then just rub on the hair end and places where knots are formed.If you do this...hair wont look oily.
    Also....use a little oil to untangle hair completely before washing hair.
    Keep hair tied neatly in braids.Use ribbons instead of rubber bands.Rubber bands tend to break hair and that increases the tangle problem.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi shari- How old is your baby girl? Looks like she is less than a year.
    I would suggest to use coconut oil or castor oil before bath. After bath, most of it will wash out but some will still remain to keep her hair detangled. Now hair does not look shiny, might smell castor oily, etc but that is okay if child is small and not going into daycare.

If you plan to use chemicals- shampoo,conditioner, please check if they are safe for kids. I know african babies have to use detanglers. B&B have that pink moisterizer for kids.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear op...you could also use a few drops of coconut oil in the last rinse on the hair. Take a mug of water....about 8-9 drops of oil. ...mix well and pour over hair.(this works for moisturising body too in case of dryness.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, my DD has curly hair and her hair gets knotted up very easily. Like others said, pure coconut oil is best. Apply a little bit and gently brush the hair. Here we have infant hair-brushes that are available. The brush itself is very soft, so, you dont have to worry about the scalp getting hurt and all. I used to brush her hair every morning and evening to keep them know free.

6. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

I think your daughter is less than one year. Use coconut oil for her hair. Gently comb her hair everyday.

7. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Dear mommies,

Thanks so much for your responses. I do use coconut oil on her hair, but, the hair behind her head is matted into 4-5 big knots, which are difficult to remove, it might be impossible to remove (like those of sanyasins) :(-

She is 7 month old. And, I use a soft infant hair brush to save the hair at the top of her head and on either sides ....