1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hair coloring/Dyeing..problems and suggestions

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by Ginger, Jan 13, 2006.

1. vidhya25

vidhya25 Senior IL'ite

Re: want to colour my hair

I have used garnier to colour my hairs . it suited my hair well , selection of hair coloring product will depend on your type

2. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kads,
    For hair coloring if its ur first time...u better go to a good local salon and they shall suggest who and also show you pictures how it looks and then u can decide. It might be on a little expensive side if you go to a good salon and can cost you anywhere between 150 bucks to 200 including tip. But its worth it since they use good chemicals too and tell u how to take care of your hair.
    Try out and let us know ur experience for the first time :)
    -priya

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Re: Info Needed - Hair Dye

hmm.. my hair stylist mentioned it..

but have no other info .. sorry!!

I guess people use it during their first trimester since hair coloring is a big nono

4. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Hi Kads,

This my personal exp.. i have tried Garnier Dark red long back, say one year back..
    It has worked excellent on mah hair.. :queen I usally wear poni, its step cut.. or just leave hair, just knoting with banana clip. so it looked awesome 'cause i have medium hair not too lenghty noe short... And i had frequent headbaths but de shade was there on the left and right part of my hair..

i have used only once, but still that shade traces will appear on my hair. where as som of my frenz also tried but was not there for long time.. I feel gud wen ppl say its cool looking @ my hair. :wink:

But i dont know excatly how it works for all types of hairs.. Be sure that u have not applied henna for atleast 4 - 6 months before colouring ur hair..

1 person likes this.
  5. RamyaParasuram

RamyaParasuram Senior IL'ite

Re: HELP! need to colour my hair reddish with mehendi(henna)

I mix henna, coffee powder( 1 tsp), with hot water in a iron vessel. Leave it for the night. Apply it on the hair for 3-4 hours and wash without shampoo.

-Ramya

6. Anaita

Anaita New IL'ite

hi

you can mix beetroot juice in henna to get reddish hair color.

7. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Mix shenaz henna powder with tea decotion (black tea) in an iron vessel with one spoon of oil and let it be for overnight.. Dont wash iron vessel before mixing all these.. cause if its washed the rust goes and wont give u better reults... But with henna only the grey hair will turn into red not the black hair..

So if u wanna give ur hair red shade try using Garnier color naturals, u get drak red in this... go for patch test if u r using for first time...

1 person likes this.
  8. RamyaParasuram

RamyaParasuram Senior IL'ite

Re: Hair Coloring - Long term effects?

I apply henna mixed with coffee powder in an iron kadai . LEave the paste overnight. Apply on hair the next day and wash it after 3 hours. This gives a healthy reddish-brown color to the hair.

Rgds,
    Ramya

9. anthemwy

anthemwy New IL'ite

Re: Hair Coloring - Long term effects?

Hair coloring is safe, because I have tried it at home using one of those kits. My hair is still nice, thick and silky as it was before. There are many myths in India about hair coloring and its bad effects.

In India, many women are going for light brown or blonde highlights. Most Indian women have dark black hair, which is would be about no. 2 or 3. In the hair color grading system, no. 1 is the darkest (black) and no. 10 is the lightest (light blonde). Inidan type hair is difficult to color because our hair is really healthy and the cuticles are really strong. This is because we oil and take good care of our hair right from childhood, use less heat for ironing, blow-drying or curling and use less color and other styling gels(which contain harsh chemicals). So to color such strong hair from no. 2 to a lighter color, most beauty parlors in India use bleach (which contains ammonia), which first lightens the hair color, and then apply the color on top of it. Bleaching damages the hair.

Once you color or highlight your hair, it will last for a long time, provided you take good care with color protection shampoo/conditioner. So don't worry; coloring is something you do just once in a while. Go ahead and be bold, girl. Experiment with your looks.

Good luck!!

10. chitkan

chitkan New IL'ite

Hi

I had just updated this info- unfortunately did not see your request before... so here goes

First Buy quality henna (Everest is a good brand but if you can get henna from delhi/ jaipur nothing like it). Filter the same so that no lumps are available in the same. Make a decoction of water, tea(2 tbs) and coffee powder (2 Tbs). Boil and let it cool. drain and keep aside. Mix the decoction with the henna and let it stay overnight with a Iron laddle inserted into the mixture. This actually helps with the colour enhancement. Before application add about 2 eggs with yolks into the mixture. The paste consistancy should be the drop consistancy- not too watery or too thick a paste.

If incase you are looking for a Burgandy shade, boil about 2 medium sized beetroots, and make them into a fine paste. Mix this with the henna and let it stay over night.

For those with Dry Hair, Add a bit of Methi Powder and an extra egg. (will stink a bit but worth the effort)

Never apply mehendi to oily hair. and never use shampoo on the day of rinsing the mehendi off. Oil your hair the next day, this helps with colour retention and also with conditioning of your hair.